House & Home The Vege Garden Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 12th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Kinda excited as have organised my first local "Crop Swap", to be held at the community garden this weekend ... the vege garden has caught me by surprise, by what 10cu/m of mushroom compost additive would produce.

Photos:

1. the tomatoes have already been savagely pruned back once already! Yes, that is sweet corn and a plum tree in the middle of the mess
    2. a normal daily harvest (sooooo many cucumbers. I've been pickling and relishing my freckle off)
    3. looking forward to the dwarf watermelon as this is just a small selection
    4. nugget pumpkins are going insane, and still flowering with more. Thinking around 40-50 this harvest

271725177_10226749745315997_98658711098420619_n.jpg

271746661_10226761196002257_5651776848421769125_n.jpg

271735042_10226761348606072_3315899702778913196_n.jpg

271810532_10226761350326115_6621505774043069665_n.jpg

EN710, willair, devank and 7 others like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Our winter citrus have set on the trees - countless blood oranges at golf ball size, a few lemonades, handful of lemons & mandies. Just keep feeding them. Killing a few stink bugs as well.

We bought 2 cherry tomato plants from the nursery, one is over 8' tall, the other 8 or more plants are ex-compost self-seeders. They've starting to put out a few coloured ones this week. Two self-seeders are single round ones, have picked a couple now as well.

We also have 2 (mystery prize) watermelons going ballistic, have now spotted a 4" ball & a couple of smaller ones growing.

The green beans yielded a handful only :( Likewise, the basil failed superbly, potatoes didn't do much either.

Rocket is starting to kick on. Sage & oregano are growing wild, rosemary is so easy with about a dozen plants kicking on.

I picked my 2 garlic bulbs on NYD, a little bigger than a golf ball. First year that they did anything more than 20mm.

On the non-edibles - the upside down orchids put on one helluva show, found a spot for the dendrobium kingianum's in the 100mm gap between the path & the fence, we struck several new gardenias from cuttings, somehow have got a few Viberniums to self-seed & successfully repotted. I've even got a miniscule lavender going (needs a magnifying glass to see it).

willair, Lizzie, Cousinit and 2 others like this.
  3. devank

devank Well-Known Member

@Lizzie - End result is amazing! How do you deal with all bugs and insects?

@Scott No Mates: I'm having endless fight with those citrus smelly bugs too.

I had chill plants and few other herbs. Last year, we got two bunnies. They demolished them all! I have moved all my strawberries to a pot and placed them on balcony. They are doing fine. Once a week everyone gets one small fruit.. but the satisfaction we get is priceless.
    After looking at the price of ginger, I planted few ginger shoots. They are about 15cm tall plants now. I'm not sure when to harvest though.

4. Scott No Mates

I put a few in each year as well. They've been pretty slow growing this year. Last year, one of the plants flowered as well. Ginger is ready to pick when the leaves all die and turn brown - mid to late autumn.

Neighbour's kids had a bunny too - it became fox dinner a few years back.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Warm winter in Melb meant our cherries didn't set.
    Plenty of shark fin melon though - right through winter
    Quite a few strawberries too.

The Y-man

6. Scott No Mates

upload_2022-1-13_8-57-34.png

Upside down orchid (they flower through the bottom of the hanging wire basket & have a strong vanilla scent).

upload_2022-1-13_8-58-28.png

Who ever said that you can't grow orchids in a small space (these get morning sunshine only and enjoy a shaded position - they flower in spring).

upload_2022-1-13_9-3-52.png

upload_2022-1-13_9-5-19.png

From this...

upload_2022-1-13_9-1-3.png

To this....Well, I assume that's a watermelon. (Looking at it again after I posted, we're getting to a consensus that it is actually a Jap Pumpkin because watermelon generaly don't have seeds :confused:)

upload_2022-1-13_9-7-12.png

The two garlics back in Nov/Dec with the tomatoes behind them.

upload_2022-1-13_9-2-12.png

Hopefully the blood orange will hold it's fruit - it has been dropping a few of late.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2022
    Redwing, Cousinit, devank and 2 others like this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

20220113_080852.jpg 20220113_080852.jpg
    The coffee has about 2 kilos that will be ready to pick in about 2 weeks.. 20220113_080833.jpg

8. Scott No Mates

@willair - did you grow the coffee plants from seed (I have a few seeds from a tree nearby which I was looking at planting). The tree was prolific but has recently died, so I picked a handful.

There are some street tree plantings of coffee near my coffee supplier - they have a few roasting/teaching days but not sure if they use the beans that they buy in or the ones from the street trees.

9. The Y-man

@Scott No Mates
    Interesting to hear about the vanilla smell.
    Coincidentally, it was not until last night I found out vanilla is NOT a legume but an orchid :eek:

The Y-man

10. The Y-man

Sharkfin melons
    Melons.jpg

Shiso (red)

shiso.jpg

Turmeric

tumeric.jpg

The Y-man

Stoffo, apk, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  11. willair

I bought those coffee plants from the mark down section of a organic nursery in Brisbane..
    There are 2 tress that survived from the 4 I purchased .
    Last year I gave away over 5 kilos to the 2 male doctor,s that live next door..
    They package the beans up and give them too their mates,everybody wins.
    With coffee,dynamic lifter plus sugar cane mulch plus a little bit of lime in the QLD climate they grow excellent..
    But I'm mainly into herbs,I'll try and post of.photo on the herb garden .

Lizzie and Scott No Mates like this.
  12. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

Out of interest, how many cups of coffee would one coffee tree give you. After a year of love and tender care :)

13. The Y-man

We go through a kilo of roasted coffee beans every 3 weeks :D

The Y-man

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  14. willair

I'm not sure as I don't drink coffee ..
    But between 3-5 kilos per plants, I think 2 trees would put you in position to never buy coffee again and know the end product is safe and organic..

Attached Files:

Cousinit and Tofubiscuit like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Two trees wouldn't be enough for me.

But with all the hassle of drying and roasting, even after the years of growing before it produces, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

What if the coffee produced isn't any good?

willair likes this.
  16. The Y-man

Roast and cover in chocolate - no one will question the coffee bean :D:D:D

Screenshot 2022-01-13 100801.png

The Y-man

Tofubiscuit, geoffw and Lizzie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

How big did the tree get? I've got one in a very large pot in my front garden, but am considering I might have to (gasp) find it some room in the ground to get a decent crop

Took a while but my passionfruit vines and seedless white grapes are finally starting to show some growth interest (planted this spring and took a while to work out where they were) - they will be fab next year.

Herbs? So many herbs going nuts atm - lemon grass, sage, oregano, basil, parsley, chili, chives - I'll be giving some away at the crop swap on Saturday (which is a great idea for the local area) ... and the sweet potato has taken over the 2x7m garden bed underneath the apple trees

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

So Wilair's 2 trees would see you right for around 8 months

willair likes this.
  19. The Y-man

Unfortunately that'd be green weight.... :(

The Y-man

Lizzie, willair and Scott No Mates like this.
  20. willair

Lizzie,I would say if you planted 4 all different varieties then I think you would have more then one needs..
    From my experience it's a fine line when picking the beans just as the red changes colour and the beans put out a smell at night.
    The only problem I have at the moment is Rambo the local scrub Turkey moved in the front yard ,his three girlfriends are long gone and he's working 24/7 guarding the nest..

Attached Files:

Lizzie and geoffw like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia