Variation ATO really slow this year

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by fullylucky, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

Has ATO processed your variation for the new f year?

They still haven't processed mine.

What's going on?

Isn't there some rules requiring them to finish it within 28 business days.

"online using an e-variation, your application may be processed within 28 days"

Ref:
    https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/PAYG-withholding-variation-application/

My pay has been cut in two pays! Far out!

2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

When did you submit?

Mine made it in time for July Pay. I submitted as soon as ATO opened apps again in early May though.

3. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Mine only took about 2 weeks

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ATO are experiencing some major IT failures at present. The bulk of their systems are operating well but many processes incl PAYGV, tax variations, non-residents, withholding etc are all substantially delayed. It was reported in media earlier this week there are some taxpayers whose returns are trapped in processing suspense and cannot be released or finalised despite best efforts of IT staff. All this diverts staff from front facing delivery (who are being cut)
    http://www.smartcompany.com.au/finance/tax/47785-thousands-of-tax-returns-stuck-in-ato-limbo.html#

The 28 business day service standard is a target. Not a promise.

If you lodged in May it should have been processed by now and you can call them since the 28 days is passed. There may be something missing or needing review ? Perhaps they flagged your for review of depreciation claims ? ;)

EN710 likes this.
  5. fullylucky

Thanks for the info.

6. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Put mine in a week ago and just got letter from ato today.

7. fullylucky

you put in the form and it got processed in a week?

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Applied for a TFN for a client. Told to wait the 28 days. 28 days later still nothing. Then escalated to priority status. One week later still nothing. They followed up. Another week on top of that told has been issued. Asked where it was sent to and response was it hadnt been posted out. Apologies provided and accepted. Systems are in total disarray at the ATO but agents have a target to meet.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They seem not to be issuing ABNs in real time and they are all queued too. Affecting all new entities incl SMSFs who cant even do a rollover. Frustrating for all concerned. Cutting red tape may have been confused with someone cutting the red wire on the ATO computer system.

10. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Under a week, applied online 23/07/2015, letter received in the mail yesterday with my new tax rate.

fullylucky and 158 like this.
  11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I certainly feel for people who are waiting for their returns, boosted by higher income, to borrow more / refinance / get equity releases. Must be an anxious wait with all these APRA changes happening.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia