Managed Funds Vanguard - SMSF

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Greyghost, 7th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

I have looked at the member direct option for Australian Super a few times. I have also considered ING Super (direct investing) as well. However, I am now leaning more and more towards using the "Australian Shares" option within Australian Super. Low management fee, historical performance is solid and no hassles with brokerage and whatnot.

From memory, I think this is what @The Falcon has as well. My wife's account is with this option now and I will consider moving mine into it at some stage too.

pippen likes this.
  2. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

I take it this is in the DIY option mix with australian super? .31% fee per annum??

3. orangestreet

Yep, thats the one. Look at its performance. Not too shabby.

pippen likes this.
  4. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Yep quiet solid, any idea how franking credits work in this option?

5. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Australian Super members directangular option can only let you invest in Asx300 and etfs no LIC's

6. House

House Well-Known Member

Missed this question so emailed the author. He responded with "ING Living Super is the lowest cost that I know of at $360 p.a. and allows you to then invest in exchange traded funds (ETF) that start at only 0.04% p.a. This is a much simpler alternative to a SMSF".

IMG_5831.PNG

IMG_5832.PNG

Not sure how competitive the fees are but I'm with REST Super and their Core Strategy is .6%. Quick calc shows ~2% yield after fees.

I'd rather have all my Super in something like VAS for the next 30 years so looking for alternatives and the above sounds good :)

Redwing likes this.
  7. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

How is life insurance and income protection coverage for SMSF or the other super funds mentioned above compare?

Thanks.

8. Watson17

Watson17 Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info on this so far, im very much a novice when it comes to super but have recently been looking into changing funds and taking more note about fees etc. I have been told the HostPlus balanced index fund is a great option. Does anyone currently use this or know if its a good option?

Thanks,

9. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

ING won't allow you to go 100% VAS but it would allow 20% VAS, 20% IOZ, 20% STW and 20% ARG (for example, I don't know of another large cap Australian ETF index but ARG or other LICs may give you diversity but still within Australian large caps) with 19% in balanced Australian fund (no fees) and 1% in cash hub.

House likes this.
  10. trinity168

Hi All,

In the initial stages of exploring SMSF and, was chatting with a FP today. Their fees are at approx $3K for SMSF (mine and hubby's) which includes, tax returns, reports and compliance. For those who have been with either ING super or Care Super or another industry SF for over a year, could you share what tax/reporting requirements are requried?

Thanks.

11. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Ask the FP for a total dollar cost for all services rendered including the cost of all products and third party reporting services. Compare this to the same for other providers to make a decision.

House and Terry_w like this.
  12. trinity168

Hi @Ross Forrester

Below is the list of services that 3K includes
    - setup/rollover
    - investment allocation
    - estate planning
    - tax returns
    - compliance
    - reporting obligations
    - audits

Going back to my original question, for those who have been with either ING super or Care Super or another industry SF for over a year, could you share what tax/reporting requirements are requried?

Thanks.

13. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Exactly. You have been given a list of services that is included in a $3k fee.

You should ask for a dollar cost for all charges (direct and indirect) that will apply.

The answer is often different and that is the dollar number you should compare.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. orangestreet

Terry_w likes this.
  15. trinity168

No insurance for that price.

16. trinity168

So, I am at a point where I am comparing, if it is worth it for me to go SMSF. And also looking at Australian Super, or ING super or Care Super.

Am with AMP at the moment.

17. ACMH16

ACMH16 Well-Known Member

Yup, and the answer you've gotten so far is that the quotation you've been given at the moment probably isn't complete, and so you need to ask for a complete quotation including all costs.

The answer is likely to be that it's cheaper to go with a very low percentage based fee like sunsuper or a low fixed cost fee like ING's quasi-SMSF, but you're giving up flexibility in both of these and hence you can't make a comparison without actually knowing the real total cost of an SMSF

Ross Forrester likes this.
  18. turk

turk Well-Known Member

E Super may be worth investigating.

19. trinity168

I understand the quality of answers I get also depends on the quality of questions I ask. :) And, being a total newbie on this, my questions have been very broad. Only started reading about SMSF this week.

Trying to piggyback on people's experience with SMSF and, or ING super, Aus Super, Care Super or other industry super fund which, has enough flexibility ( to invest in LICs and ETFs ), and reasoble fees (not like AMP).

20. orangestreet

I meant what are you going to do about insurance requirements within your SMSF?