ETF Vanguard Global Value Equity Active ETF (VVLU)

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 29th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

I read that Vanguard report as only VVLU lost AMIT, while VAS, VGS et al did not.

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

It was the reference to “multiclass” that has me confused? Might have to ring them but the guys you talk to often know less than forum members here! So perhaps an email might be better.

3. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

The two active funds no longer qualify for AMIT as either the fund or ETF. Some of the Funds/ETF that are multi class (for example VGAD) have converted their accounting to AMIT, others havent converted so there must be an unresolved question mark over their qualification status still. Multi class doesn't seem to be the sole determining factor though. VAS and VGS are in the question mark group with the accounting not yet converted.
    I don't know anything about AMIT qualification so no idea what the problem may be.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

All a bit of a mystery.

In theory a stand alone ETF would more easily qualify for AMIT it would appear. Then again I always thought a stand alone ETF shouldn’t need AMIT in the first place yet STW use it?

LICs are beginning to look simple in comparison:).

Zenith Chaos, Snowball and Froxy like this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone from Vanguard.

As @dunno said one of the issues is that the underlying active wholesale funds are non-Amit compliant so any ETF as a unit class above that is same.

The guy I spoke to is going to have someone with more detailed knowledge email me about the reasons.

Other ETFs such as VAS / VGS are fine as the wholesale unlisted funds are AMIT compliant.

Apparently he thinks the size of the fund and number of investors may even play a role in choosing to become AMIT compliant? The likes of VVLU is quite small in FUM and number of investors at this time.

Had a long chat about a number of different things.

I asked about VVLU being slow to take off and does Vanguard consider closing funds if there is limited interest overtime. There was in-depth discussion about a more problematic product where despite a large investor leaving the fund they remain committed to it regardless of size of FUM. To sum up given the amount of product research that Vanguard does before releasing new funds the likelihood of closing a fund would be very unlikely. VVLU was Developed to be very strong on the value factor and is a fund both here and globally that they are committed to. I think he said to date no Australian Vanguard Fund has been closed so it’s not something that they would want to do. But of course one can never say never.

I also raised the issue of hedging messing with income distributions / tax and that IFRA ETF has elected to use TOFA so distributions are consistent and more in line with the ETF yield. I know there has been endless complaints from investors to Vanguard in relation to hedged product about the distribution issue. Apparently Vanguard have been actively investigating a number of strategies including TOFA to see if this issue could be significantly improved. But any decision would need to consider if it can be done cost effectively etc.

Redwing, APINDEX, Ouga and 6 others like this.
  7. Zenith Chaos

Who would be interested in a product that is an ETF index proxy, but doesn't have the disadvantages of an ETF such as AMIT and inconsistent dividends? It would be exactly like a LIC but stock picking would be algorithmic to stick as closely as possible with the index whilst having rules about the size / number of trades to maintain LIC status. Creating it as a LIT structure may also be a good idea.

mdk likes this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I think the recent reduction in your consumption of wine is causing you to have strange thoughts:).

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  9. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Thank you so much @Nodrog for looking into this and sharing the feedback you got from Vanguard, it is greatly appreciated.

Nodrog and Froxy like this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@dunno and others interested, Vanguard got back to me about AMIT. It looks like potentially good news once the likes of VVLU hopefully grows over time:

Zenith Chaos and Anne11 like this.
  11. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Thankyou Mr @Nodrog. I have learnt something, Yay I'm not as dumb as I was yesterday, nope, wait there, scratch that, I've forgotten at least two things today..... The down hill slide continues.

sharon and Zenith Chaos like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he. Well it’s very rare I’m able to provide some information that you don’t already know. So the knowledge score is @Nodrog = 1, @dunno = 100,000 plus.

13. Zenith Chaos

Awfully arbitrary rule. Why not 23, at least that's prime. At least that is good news, I thought it's AMIT status was related to turnover rather than age.

14. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

VVLU tax statement is non-AMIT this year.

Captal gains distribution = $0.00.

Nodrog likes this.
  15. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Thats interesting, just looked at my VHY tax statement (yes I know what you are thinking, but I purchased many years ago when I didn't know better), I noticed the Capital Gains is also $0.00 when compared to 17/18 the Total Current Year Capital Gains was $11,371.20.
    The turnover between VAS and VHY is rather substantial 2.98% compared to 37.21% as at 30 June 2018.
    Curious as to why the $0,00 CGT this time around?

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes as flagged in Vanguard’s Annual report:

17. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

I’m curious too, but don’t know the answer.

I know Vangaurd manage the creation and redemption process to minimise Capital Gains. But the exact mechanism. NFI. Can’t complain about the result this time.

STW seem to have run into some trouble on the tax front with their last distribution.

Not fully understanding the tax treatment of ETF’s is a potential risk. One day we might get an unpleasant surprise, hopefully the tax Boffin’s employed by Vanguard are on top of their jobs.

The Falcon and Burgs like this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Best stick with good old honest LICs, there’s none of this complicated tax stuff:D. And no waiting around for ETF Annual statements. God forbid think of the opportunity cost of waiting longer for our franking credit refunds. Surely this more than compensates for other LIC shortcomings:).
    D704326F-9450-430F-BE1A-76E406D90CC8.png

sharon, ChrisP73, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  19. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Best stick with Direct shares.:D No LIC capital Gains, withheld franking credits, NTA discount/premiums, defered tax liabitlities, management expenses.:)

ChrisP73, Anne11, Brumbie and 2 others like this.
  20. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Agreed. I've just gone full circle. Head explodes in 3-2-1.....

Redwing, Anne11 and Snowball like this.