Vanguard exit statement

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Oats, 28th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Today I received some Vanguard exit statements showing my positions in those ETF’s going to zero, and I’m not 100% sure why. The only reason I could think of would be that back in feb I transferred them over to nab as collateral for one of their equity builder loans. Would that trigger this statement? Why would it happen now, 3 months later?

Also, if I was correct in my assumption, would this then trigger CGT?

Thanks for any feedback given.

Oats

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no

Oats likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Worth checking with Vanguard if you dont have a "on" and "off" showing where the transfer went. A change of HIN will usually produce a change of statement for Vanguard direct holdings.

A HIN, being Broker sponsored, commences with an 'X'. If you have an account number from a CHESS statement you will need to add an 'X' to the front of the account number before logging in. A SRN, being Issuer sponsored, commences with an 'I' or 'C'. You will need to enter the 'I' or 'C' followed by the 11 digit number before logging in. Its also possible that these ETFs are not subject to a HIN and are being held by a custodian. No change of beneficial ownership has occurred and so no CGT issue. The custodian may have shifted from your legal name to another party.