Vanguard - ETF or (existing) Wholesale?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by qak, 25th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I am lost on the pros and cons of selecting between these two options.

We have an existing WS account with Vanguard, which I believe has still no admin fee in comparison to the Vanguard Personal Investor. I understand they both have MERs and the Wholesale MERs appear a little higher than ETF.

The options we have are:
    Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund
    Vanguard Global Value Equity Fund
    Vanguard Growth Index Fund
    and I gather these are all available as WS and ETF.

SO - should we move from wholesale to ETF? It would realise some gains which I'm not in a hurry to do before 30/6.

2. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Wholesale funds have the convenience of BPAY, ETFs are more tax efficient

The problem with pooled funds — Passive Investing Australia

I probably wouldn’t use VPI though for ETFs due to the additional 0.2% admin fee (capped at $600) vs 12 months of brokerage which is between zero and $114 depending on broker chosen.

Another choice if you have significant capital gains is to leave wholesale as is and add ETFs going forward

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be using VPI, don't see any point if we can do SelfWealth or other lower cost broker.
    Computershare tax statements are fine for us.

We do have some 'almost' capital losses courtesy of Pacific First Mortgage Fund, just need to wait (& wait) for that to be realised. I could transfer at MV, have to think about that.

4. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

I've done both.
    Will never go direct again.
    ETF forever now.

5. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

I have most of the portfolio in the WS version of VDHG.

I chose that rather than the ETF for simplicity in reporting, ease of adding money, and less temptation to fiddle.

I don’t think being able to instantly sell a few hundred shares is a benefit.

The performance and tax differences are a wash for me.

There is zero benefit in the PI structure to make the capital gains hit of transferring worthwhile.

Vanguard say they are working on that, but I can’t see the benefit of adding .2 to the fees I pay.

It is kind of annoying the way Vanguard dumped those of us who liked the WS funds. But much of what Vanguard has done lately is kind of annoying.

qak likes this.
  6. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

VDHG is probably the exception that doesn’t matter too much either way given the underlying holdings are wholesale funds anyway.

qak likes this.
  7. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Question.

I’m assuming the ETF index fund and the wholesale managed fund version pay out dividends on the same date.
    So I have the managed fund version of vas & vgs on the BT panorama platform and the dividend for last quarter still hasn’t come through. Have it set up on DRP but the distribution and reinvestment is not showing yet. Am I missing something?