ETF Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund and VAS

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Kelly88, 16th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I've just heard about Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund that you can buy through the webpage and contribute regularly through BPAY. Can someone please tell me the difference between this and other products, e.g. VAS ? Thanks.

Kelly

2. Ryan23

Ryan23 Well-Known Member

I believe the difference is the fund allows bpay transfers with no brokerage however you need the intial investment of 5000 and there is a higher managment fee. VAS is like any other share on the stock market you purchase and pay brokerage however the managment fee is lower.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Anne11 and oracle like this.
  4. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Anyone know why the yields differ so much?

5. Helen Le

Helen Le Active Member

Thank you very much every one. Yes, the yields seem to be so much different with the managed fund is much higher. In general, which one do people prefer ? I am quite new to share to I am still not used to the way to buy it, it seems much easier with managed fund.

6. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

It’s the same fund. VAS’s underlying fund is the Australian Shares Index Fund:
    • Fund code APIR: VAN0010AU

Investment Products

Versus: VAS:

Investment Products
    • Underlying fund: Vanguard Australian Shares Index Fund
    VAS fee is much lower at .14% however you will pay for brokerage each time you buy and sell, while the index fund fee is .75% for the first 50k invested.

So if you intend to buy in 5k-10k allotments then it probably cheaper to buy VAS. However if you want to have regular PBay in smaller amounts then the underlying fund would probably be more suitable (not advice),

Ynot, sharon, dunno and 1 other person like this.
  7. geoffw

It's not the same fund. They are both based on the same index, the ASX200, but for whatever reason, the performance (apart from fees) has been different - 6.87% for the fund for the last 12 months v 4.45% for VAS. Performance has been similar for other periods however.

The fund has been around a lot longer than VAS. It started before ETFs were a thing.

8. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. It is not the same fund. However VAS uses the same underlying index fund. Better explanation here:

Exchange traded funds (ETFs) | ASIC's MoneySmart

If you read the two links I provided from Vanguard, the performance between the two are similar.

9. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

There's a similar difference in yield between the wholesale and retail version of the fund too. Overall return is similar.

10. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The ETF VAS is simply another class of units invested in the Vanguard unlisted wholesale fund. Here’s the funds comparison. The ETF outperforms a little due to slightly lower fee (0.14% vs 0.18%):

765FE0F6-B16C-44D4-9F14-E358E0BF644C.jpeg

sharon, Anne11, oracle and 1 other person like this.
  12. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Spoke with vanguard today, i noticed VDHG etf 12 month yield was 2.37% and turnover - in comparison to same unlisted wholesale fund with 12 month yield of 6.75% and 1.12% turnover. Consultant sent me an excel spreadsheet detailing the AMIT distributions and capital gains breakdown as per each fund.

Zenith Chaos and Redwing like this.
  13. geoffw

Screenshot_20190418-140251.png Here's the side by side comparison from the Vanguard site (referenced in a previous post). It's the 12 month yield I'm questioning. Why is there a bug difference when just about everything else is identical?

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  14. sfdoddsy

sfdoddsy Well-Known Member

What was the difference?

15. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Distributions and capital gains and fund flows through the funds

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

It’s likely to do with AMIT as mentioned by @pippen. The wholesale fund due to AMIT has likely resulted in this fund paying out more income as capital gains vs the ETF which I think are generally less impacted due to their structure. Hence the distribution yield of the wholesale fund is higher. Total return which includes unrealised capital however should have been similar.

That’s why I posted this “total return” comparison from the same tool / data you used:

6909E7C3-B190-444D-A7CA-F62E68FDCAAD.jpeg

I understand the objective of AMIT but it’s a pain in the arse in some ways.

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2019
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

:confused::)

18. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

They are all based of the same underlying fund.

The ETF and the Wholesale fund both show similar yields. The retail fund shows the higher yield.
    upload_2019-4-18_15-17-6.png

Retail has semi-annual distributions; whilst the ETF and Wholesale are quarterly. My bet is this is the major cause - Retail calculation is on last two half's up to 31/Dec/2018 divided by last month’s closing price. ETF & Wholesale are last 4 quarters up to 31/Mar/2019 divided by last month’s closing price.

Remaining small yield differences would be accounting. All are under AMIT but each vehicle might get slightly different income/capital adjustment recognition. Comes out in the wash (apart from tax implications) if you are indifferent to income vs capital. Best comparison is total return as @Nodrog points out. The main difference over time just comes down to fees, so avoid retail fund if possible.

Never giveup, Froxy, Anne11 and 4 others like this.
  19. Kelly88

Kelly88 Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. I am just starting to buy my first shares and I can spend a few thousands every month. What are the strategies you have if you have to start all over again and which shares do you buy ? Thanks.

20. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

I'd go 50:50 split of ASX:VGS and ASX:VAS.

Keep costs low with a broker like CMC or SelfWealth.

Diversify across time, and try to buy in minimum $5k parcels so the brokerage isn't a drainer on overall returns.

Biggest predictor of long term portfolio performance is diversification (across time, across geogrpahy, across companies) combined with low fees, which is why the vanguard low cost passive index funds always get recommended.

Further reading: A random walk down wall street by Burton Malkiel.

Zenith Chaos, Froxy, RS Gumby and 2 others like this.