Managed Funds vanguard australia

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Matt87, 5th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Tried calling Vanguard and since Monday left 2 voicemail messages.

Due to COVID19 -they may be working from home but still nearly 5 days no response..

Never giveup likes this.
  2. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

I've been emailing them through the portal and have had a 2 day turn around no probs

Never giveup likes this.
  3. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Hi @DoggaPP,

Based on one your posts re wholesale version of VGS and VAS .just want to confirm:-

Should I ask Vanguard customer care personnel that I want to join wholesale version of VAS with 100K once agreed, I must do couple.of $5K deposits and then open another Wholesale version of VGS with 100K ?

Because if initially asked them 100K each they may push to put all $200k in one wholesale fund!

What do you suggest?

Ps-Edit some spell

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2020
  4. DoggaPP

I've never done this as I only have the one wholesale fund. Seriously, just be upfront and chat to them about what you want to do I'd say. they are fairly accommodating I have found.

Never giveup likes this.
  5. Never giveup

Thank you @DoggaPP , appreciate it!

I just need to make sure wholesale fund is suitable for me compared to investing directly in VAS. The capital gain part of the managed fund is something I don't lioe but over the next 30 odd years I wont be touching the money so not sure in the mix of good and greater what is the best option....

6. Sticky

Sticky Well-Known Member

You can do VAS and VGS with the same wholesale account - just different BPay code

Never giveup likes this.
  7. DoggaPP

MTR, Nodrog and number 5 like this.
  8. KK_Kris

KK_Kris Member

Hi all,

Etfs are interesting and I am learning news things abt them and have invested in some etfs.

Came across this fund which is primarily to provide a good yield (income quarterly ) however could not under how the yield is calculated.

Investment Products

Lets say I put in 1000$. How much can I expect every quarter. Understand it could vary little bit here and there.

Can any one help me understand this. Thanks !

9. Never giveup

So had a good chat with Vanguard rep and 109K is acceptable even it says over 500K for fund requirement. It be interesting to see if 100K needs to be transfeted into wholesale as one go or DCA is acceptable.

Secondly the main diffetence B/W VAS ETF and underlying wholesale outlined by Vanguaatd staff was the divis and purchase/sale price:-

In etf We can conyrol when to buy and sell as required however in fund you judt get the end of the trading day price.

Re divus- in wholesake fund people get littlehigher divvis than the ETF.

Now ball is in my court- if create selwealth account with new srn/hin number and buy with capoed pricing and maintain all transactions/record divis manually or join the W/S version !!

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Some historical dividends per unit listed on your link

upload_2020-5-22_7-10-4.png
    upload_2020-5-22_7-10-26.png

The shares held in VHY's basket are based upon a "forecast of higher dividends relative to other ASX-listed companies."

Turnover rate (As at date 30 Jun 2019) 21.52%

From Morningstar below

Burgs likes this.
  11. Never giveup

If someone doesn't have Discipline problem (for investing) then is it worth joining Vanguard Fund (500K+) vs Investing in VAS via ASX and VGAD/VGS.

Given Selfwealth has set brokage - they will also be sending EOFY stmt that holds all divis and franking.

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

13. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

I have a question on the annual tax statements. The cost base increase/reduction is a $ total as opposed to $/unit. How do you allocate the increase/reduction to different purchases - pro rata based on days held during the year? Understand no one can give tax advice but guessing this is a well trodden path.

orangestreet likes this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I suspect you don't being an annual all-in statement.

Greedo likes this.
  15. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Hi @Greedo

You would think well trodden path but I also could find very little when I started with ETF's, makes you wonder how many incorrect tax returns get done.

Still to this date I have not found the question you have asked, written about by anybody or organisation I would consider authoritative.

upload_2020-8-12_0-16-53.png

Above is what I think is the relevant legislation. Hopefully you can read it (although I'm not certain what language it is in to tell you the truth)
    Any rate 5 a & b seem to be the important bits and would indicate no need to pro-rata. which sorta makes sense because you don't actually have the detail of when throughout the year the transactions giving rise to the AMIT adjustments occurred, so a simplifying "assumption" of smooth accrual would be needed to pro-rata. whereas I read the legislation as saying assume later of end of FY or CGT event date.

So, I spread evenly the adjustments between units held at year end + units sold that year. Certainly simpler than pro-rata and if not right certainly defensible enough for my way of thinking if audited. (that is also the way BGL simple fund software I use seems to be handling it for ETF's in the SMSF)

Anyrate that is my dunno what I'm doing but have to do something solution until I find out something more definitive.

If you ever find a clear answer let us know.

Greedo, Anne11, PKFFW and 1 other person like this.
  16. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

This makes sense. What I plan to do is to enter all the cost base adjustments in Sharesight Tax annual statement and let it spit out my tax liabilities. I have not sold yet so haven’t looked into it but just spreading the total amount across all units seems sensible.

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Would seems to infer to an annual adjustment not periodic.

INCOME TAX ASSESSMENT ACT 1997 - SECT 104.107B Annual cost base adjustment for member's unit or interest in AMIT

As a side note, before electing AMIT arrangements, STW Annual Tax Statements did provide a component breakdown for each distribution made during the financial year. After that, however, the Annual Tax Statements did not provide for that which is why I suspect pro-rata doesn't apply.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2020
    Greedo and Anne11 like this.
  18. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Hi @blob2004

I would love to know if Sharesight automatically updates the individual parcel cost base's from inputting the annual statement cost base adjustments. If it does they have coded the answer to @Greedo question into the software.

My smsf software keeps a running tally at the parcel cost base level and appears to not pro rate but I have not had a partial sale of an ETF to see what happens in that circumstance.

My non smsf portfolio manger ignores the whole subject. If I could confirm that Sharesight automatically updates parcel cost base's from the annual AMIT statement I would probably switch to it. Browsing their site I can't tell if they are just updating investment returns based on the annual adjustments or carrying the information through to parcel level cost base record.

I Wonder if @David@Sharesight is still around to answer question?

19. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

It appears that Sharesight does adjust the cost base if you do a CGT report as long as you input the adjustments for your annual tax statement, according to their website - Attribution Managed Investment Trust (AMIT) tax calculations | Sharesight

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Apportion based on numbers of units on hand at 30 June - as the income was distributed as cents per unit. If any units had been sold this may also need to be applied differently so that their CGT calcs are impacted by the costbase adjustment. These ones annoy me since our software needs to have the sales deleted, the costbase adjusted and the sale re-entered.

Nodrog, dunno and Greedo like this.