Value Add: What's better?!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jonno Yeo, 4th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jonno Yeo

Jonno Yeo Well-Known Member

In a bit of a dilemma.

Property is a 3 bedroom, villa/unit in Preston VIC and we really want to add value where we can.

[​IMG]

Was set on the idea of creating a second bathroom where the laundry is, but someone has put it across me that it may not add that much value and actually, negate out because we're removing the direct laundry access to the outside? This is because ew'd brick up the door that leads outside from the laundry.

I personally don't think it's much of an issue, it would only be a 13-15M walk from the european laundry.

Scenario 1:
    - Create second bathroom where the laundry is.
    - Create european laundry in corridor (approx 1200x800mm)
    - Renovate ensuite
    - Renovate kitchen in 3-4 years time.

The other scenario i came up with, is if we don't create the second bathroom, we could just update slightly the laundry, the ensuite and fully re-do the kitchen?

Scenario 2:
    - Renovate laundry
    - Renovate main bathroom
    - Renovate kitchen

Thoughts?

My main thought that the 2nd bathroom would add the most value, was to target the families that couldn't afford the 3Br2Bath houses on our street, would hopefully default for our unit/villa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

European ldy may have issues getting plumbing there, depending on the room under the house and floowing etc etc

No one celebrates doing the laundry like back in the good old days, when house wives slaved over the wash board. Most people probably use dryers now!
    I think close off the steps and laundry door.

make a new bathroom like so: (put the laundry in there too somewhere) and you'll need a toilet in the ensuite
    Untitled.jpg

and for the a great cost effective value add, paint the benchtop and replace the splashback! :)

Marg4000, House and EN710 like this.
  3. Jonno Yeo

[​IMG]

This is approximately what we were planning.

Unfortunately the main bathroom will be a bit smaller, but the only way we can think of renovating and living in the place at the same time.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

To really add value you would be better to plan a smaller ensuite (shower, toilet, vanity) and a large main bathroom including the bath and a separate shower. If necessary include a laundry area as well.

Your proposed plan has things around the wrong way, and most families would logically use the ensuite as the main bathroom. Target demographic?

I understand that you are prioritising living there during the renovation, but this won't give you the best outcome.

If staying put is essential, I would not waste money on a less-than-ideal renovation, particularly one involving the expense moving plumbing and drainage. You also run the risk of the value not increasing in line with the money spent.
    Marg

dmo likes this.
  5. Jonno Yeo

Target demographic would be, a couple with a baby/young child.
    It's a 3 bedroom, but not a huge place as you can see from the plans.
    1 bedroom for parents, 1 bedroom for child, 1 study i would think is the main idea.

That is the general consensus we've had, however correct staying put is necessary whilst we renovate so need the working bathroom at the same time. We just thought adding a bathroom would add most value. Maybe not?

From a quick calculation:
    Main bathroom 4.8sq
    Ensuite 5.3sq
    So it really isn't that much smaller? Considering the tub is in the ensuite, so usable space is probably the same. Thoughts?

Budget wise, both bathrooms and the laundry are coming in at $16,500 or so.
    We will be doing tiling, demolition, stud walls, gyprocking ourselves.
    Electrician is locked in at $1600 for both bathrooms and laundry.
    Budgeting $4.5k for plumber, which will be confirmed tomorrow as we have 3 plumbers coming through for quotes.

6. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Have you considered doing away with the garage?

I.E. - leave the roller door in place and build a stud wall 1 metre back to create storage.
    - put in a door between the living room and garage, line the walls and ceiling with plasterboard, tiles or floating floorboards which will then give you a room listed as non livable.
    It can be advertised as a storeroom, playroom, games room or office.

7. Jonno Yeo

They're on two separate levels which isn't shown on the plan.
    About a 1-1.5m drop or so.
    The garage is also the only subfloor access area though.....

Definitely a possibility maybe, the other side also has a roller door which leads to a concrete driveway.

Thanks for the suggestions, first time unit/home owner, and renovater!

8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Alternatively just put a New York style laundry at the back of the garage along with other storage.

Agree that a door between the garage and living room would be a useful addition.

Edit - if the garage is below the level of the existing house, is there scope to put a room over the garage??!

9. Jonno Yeo

[​IMG]
    Garage and the living room.

Unfortunately no scope for addition of room.

Also we are part of a villa/unit, 1 of 2 on the block so not too sure on implications of body corp, which is non existent at the moment.

I've heard removing the laundry to an external area ie. garage is not liked by people?
    So that's why we aimed to have the laundry within the corridor.

In the 1200x800mm area (wall C and wall D) in the previously posted plans.

10. Jonno Yeo

After being in the place for a few nights, we've come up with this plan.

This way retains a full laundry, and a more balanced bathroom ratio!

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Been trying to visualise how to get access into the garage but don't think we can due to height differentials.

Thoughts!?

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

plans suggestion.jpg

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think this makes the room behind the master too small and it is awkward to have to go through the living to enter the house.

13. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

before you come up with ANY idea that involves a new bathroom etc... you need to put it through your strata management for approval!

get things done the right way first, the value add won't mean anything if illegal

14. Jonno Yeo

1 week after settlement, we're moved in and wall has been bricked up!
    Will be putting a planter box and trellis and vines on this wall.
    Laundry has been capped off, and demo starts on monday.

We don't have strata management, only 2 of us on the block so it's handy.

Attached Files: