Value add or exterior reno first?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by bob shovel, 26th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Planning time. ....

Cash is tight for reno works so what do we reno first?

Do we replace roof and exterior first. This will improve the facade cosmetically. There are no leaks or urgent repairs. Couple of damage rafters that's all
    Or
    Do we concentrate on the inside - kitchen and bathroom.maybe squeeze extra bedroom

Fine print. ...
    Bearing in mind that if we created equity we may not be able to comfortably service the equity spent.
    Also exterior is asbestos. I would paint and do some risk mitigation works so there was no safety risks.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If your wanting to get the best return for your money spent and create equity I would concentrate on areas which are highly emotional and visible to the end buyer/viewer, which generally is the kitchen and bathroom. Also any cost effective solution to update the façade cosmetically would be a good idea.

Tom Rivera, bob shovel and paulF like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Reno interior first, reval, draw out equity, reno exterior?

Brian84 and bob shovel like this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Find a place that will lend you the money to do what you need.

That said, is a flip or a rental?

5. bob shovel

ppor
    school boy error not mentioning it earlier

6. bob shovel

i do like that plan. but for convienience get the roof and walls done before we move in is easier. Then we chip away inside

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That's easy then.... whatever your wife wants.

Mind you, even if she gets it wrong, its your fault. haha :p

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Facade first. when coming home you will always feel good about your home, inside can be done in stages ... :)

bob shovel likes this.
  9. bob shovel

good point :) We can do some quick cosmetic "cherie barber" painting to rejuvenate the inside

10. bob shovel

outside it is! :D lol

11. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

exterior, roof and then bathroom if structurally unsound. See if you can do something cheap and cheerful for the kitchen e.g. paint and new curtains.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our son bought a house in pretty "ordinary" condition and completely renovating inside (removed asbestos, installed plaster, painted whole inside, new kitchen, new bathroom).

Market had moved in the year he first had it and the same bank that financed him did a valuation that came back at what he'd spent on it with no uplift for the HUGE difference inside, i.e. if he sold for the valuation figure he would make not one dollar.

I had comparables to show lesser quality houses had recently sold, on main roads nearby, for the same value. It really showed that the bank was being very conservative.

And I cannot help but think that because the house was ugly, needed painting and (by this time) had tenants who didn't clean up for the valuer, this all affected the figure.

So, I don't know which I'd do first if the purpose is to pull funds out through a revalue.

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

For a PPOR I'd go with whatever makes your life easier - so it would probably be kitchen or bathrooms for me depending on the state they are currently in.
    If they are in good nick or not causing any stress then just pick whatever makes you happiest.
    If it's for equity release then probably the inside

14. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We’re in a similar situation - just bought a PPOR which needs some work and are working out in what order to do the projects.

The kitchen needs redo-ing (it’s solid but is reeeally dated) as well as the ensuite (gut & reno as well as extend slightly), a new external paint job and probably a new roof, and maybe adding a drying deck.

For us the obvious one to do first is whatever improves our life the most - so for us that’s a no-brainer - reno/extend the ensuite. So that’s what I’d recommend - do what gives YOU and your life the biggest improvement. I’d think surely that would be something inside rather than an external paint job...?

15. bob shovel

Thanks for the insights :)

We're planning to have the roof and walls removed first and we'll stay st my parents so we're away from it all rather than be in amongst the mess

Once the outside in complete we'll start planning the inside. As an interim tidy up we'll get the tile paint and do the bathroom. Maybe also pick up a cheap vanity and that will get us by for a while.
    We'll also plan how we change the inside. It had a big floor area so there's a few ways we could go. We Want to add a study/office and an ensuite and WIR. it's a 4x1 now but we're going to try and squeeze 4x2 with office (5x2 if we can.
    Also im thinking an open plan study/family room. Now that kids are so much in the tech etc. I'm thinking an open room worn a bench wrapping around that we can all work off. Rather than in their bedrooms. I can picture a open room say 4x3, with a U shape table wrapped around the walls and book shelves and power points etc. This would be open to a family room. (It makes sense in my head)
    It's approx 150m2 and we will do it all within the footprint. Don't want to go down the DA path.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A family office/study is a good idea as you'll be wanting to supervise online and homework for a long time :)

Some inspo for you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. bob shovel

i thought this was my own idea! lol:p
    Im thinking to have this opengin from a family room, open plan type arrangement. on the back side will be an office with external door for the wife's future work

any yes, i was thinking that this IT business won't be going anywhere so best to go all out and make it user friendly. We have bedrooms for sleeping then it's family room and outside all day.... In theory this works well while they are still young :)

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2017
    Westminster likes this.
  18. xdfubar

xdfubar Active Member

We're in the same boat. Bought a PPOR last year, and slowly doing what we can.
    We did an open plan living + the kitchen upstairs first as the old space was really unusable.
    The main bathroom upstairs is dated but practicable so we're leaving that for the time being.

Our facade is absolutely atrocious atm and absolutely needs work. The Mrs wants something done with it because she does feel unhappy/depressed every time she comes home and sees it. However I've been driving the argument for usable space (inside/outside, living or storage) as that's what we use the most day to day.

Next item would probably be something along the lines of carport/deck/outdoor living space depending on budget.

As someone else posted already, just do what makes you both happiest and weigh it against the time factor, how often you use that space.

bob shovel likes this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I quite like this idea... im stealing it for my next reno :D

bob shovel likes this.
  20. bob shovel

Settle tomorrow! Asbestos man starts Monday. Builder starts Wednesday. .... owner removes remaining furniture. .....this year? ??:confused:

Plan now is
    Remove asbestos roof and facade sheets
    Builder new roof and front facade with James hardie axon :cool:
    Inside we want the walls done as we can get by diy'ing the kitchen bathroom later.
    We'll go from a 4x1 to 5x2 with stage 2 reno to get the "2.5" bathrooms (toilet in laundry to backyard ;))
    Real estate agent thinks were onto a winner, more importantly we know we are:)

Builder is keen to work over Christmas so they'll get the keys and we'll move in in the new year.