Valuations for CGT

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Bris Jay, 9th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I'll have tenants moving into my former PPOR tomorrow and I've not had a formal valuation done yet. If I sell the property in the future and incur CGT, I assume that it will only apply to the increase in value from tomorrow.

I am just wondering what is an acceptable form of proof of the current value? My bank valued at $700k but that would mean that I am achieving a yield of 4.83% on a large, near new house in Eight Mile Plains, Brisbane. If that were the case, I'd be buying as many as I could afford!

My PM has advised that she is a licenced REA and that she will happily provide a market value estimate.

Will that be sufficient proof to calculate CGT in the future or should I be engaging a licenced valuer?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its free the answer is Yes. It does not need to be a formal valuers opinion and a agent opinion will suffice. Ideally it should reflect the upper end of the market range rather than the lower end.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I'd much rather save the $400 and the risk of a valuer going all conservative on me.

4. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

I thought a licenced valuer valuation was required? An agent could quote anything?

I will need to do the same thing, but in retrospect...

5. Paul@PAS

Hopefully the agent will quote a high end opinion too. Seek a few agent quotes and keep the highest.;)

6. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I think the licensed valuer is just required for gst purposes if applicable. For cgt i dont think a valuation is required, you just need to have a reasonable basis for your calculation and an RE val is useful for that purpose.

7. Paul@PAS

An apportionment is required and the ATO consider a valuer is required in the margin scheme rulings as an example.

8. hematite

My professional advice told me a registered valuer was required. It costs around $500, I guess not so much in the scheme of things...

9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I stand to be corrected...

A licenced valuer is not required. Just a reasonable arms length valuation.

If the place is truly worth $500k and you get a REA mate to give you a $250k/$750k valuation then you might be in trouble if questioned. If the valuation comes in at $450k/$550k I don't think the ATO would notice.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

11. hematite

Thank you Terry!

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Agent will provide minimum of three comparable recent sales to support the valuation.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia