Vacant Since April

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Huss518, 13th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Huss518

Huss518 Member

Hi Guys

I have been having trouble find new tenants for my place in Wyndham Vale since the last tenants moved out in late April.

We have dropped the rent twice but it doesn't seem to attract anyone. I have asked the agent for feedback, what i can do to improve the property and they have said it presents well and it is a slow time of the year which I am aware of. I am not sure where to go from here.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

In the past, and if you're willing to, some people have posted the advert link for us to give feedback on.

Common issues are that the rent is too high compared to other comparable rentals, and that the photos or other aspects of the advertising are bad.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Huss518

Huss518 Member

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Those photos are unappealing.
    Property looks very dark.
    Some of the photos date back to 2016, 2012 and 2011??
    I would suggest new photos, preferably by a professional.
    If you do this, make sure YOU get ownership of the photos, not the RE agent (you will pay either way) in case you ever change PMs.
    Marg

Propertunity and TMNT like this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yikes!! Those photos are awful.
    Bald patches in lawn.
    The backyard looks like a weedy desert wasteland.
    Feature wall colours from 15 years ago - repaint internally.
    Purple walls - eradicate them, please
    15yo dated curtains too :(
    Dark rooms - open the blinds, pull back the curtains, turn the lights on.....and then take photos
    Advertised as a 3,2 - it should be a 3,2,1 or a 3,2,2 (it has a carport, and a space)
    One of my fav gripes: dining room spelled "dinning" on the floor plans (just nit picking).

If the agent truly says it presents well, then I'd look for another agent but firstly as @Marg4000 said, change the photos.

Nattl3s, Michael Mitchell and TMNT like this.
  6. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

Hi, from what I can see - and I know nothing about Wyndham Vale - you are competing with multiple new properties on the same price range ($10, $20/week more gets you a lot newer property). Unfortunately, $320 in your current market won't do it. When I advertise on this type of market I go hard from day one, because with every passing day you go down further and further in search results.

If I was the advertising agent, I would 1. Take new photos asap (they can make a difference), 2. Upgrade Ad to premier (maybe a cost involved) which will move your ad back to top of search results from page 5-6 where you are now, 3. Rotate hero photo regularly, 4. Drop price OR change to Contact Agent so you don't turn people away, and 5. Offer 1 or 2 weeks free rent to see if it makes a difference. You may also want to consider allowing pets.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

7. Huss518

Huss518 Member

Thanks for the feedback

Sorry I have linked the full Real estate.com history hence some old photos ( the purple walls are definitely gone!)

actual ad 23 Tarwin Place Wyndham Vale Vic 3024 - House for Rent #426315882 - realestate.com.au

But the photos still need some work.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with @Marg4000 that the photos are not good. They are fuzzy, and the curtains and vertical blinds don't help much either.

New photos, every light turned on and curtains open to let as much light in as possible is a priority.

Edit: I typed this up and then got distracted and then clicked on the updated link, but the advice is the same. New photos, lights on, new curtains (and the kitchen needs photos with no clutter and the blinds open too).

I'd be very unhappy with an agent who is happy to put those photos up if the house is empty and they can get in to take better ones. That seems very lazy.

Spooky likes this.
  9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I will echo others sentiments.

New Property Manager
    New Photos (pay for professional ones - lose the floor plan - you don't need it.
    Take off existing ad off on Monday. Put a new one up next Friday.

10. Propertunity

Yes, check this For Sale listing as an example of what good RE photography can look like:
    8 Hillgrove Close, Ourimbah, NSW 2258
    The lights are on. The windows are open. I'm not a fan of green - but I don't find it offensive in this advert. The fixtures (like yours) are dated but it still presents much better.

bmc likes this.
  11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Propertunity your thoughts on presentation photos for a 'run of the mill' rental,
    any difference / preference to display furnished or unfurnished ?
    any benefit to show a floor plan for a rental ?

12. Propertunity

For ‘run of the mill’ properties all the more reason for professional photos. Your property needs to stand out from the crowd so it rents first.
    I also prefer furnished or staged for the same reason.
    Floor plans are also appreciated.

bmc likes this.
  13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Furnished/staged and floor plans for a rental though?
    For sale, yes definitely.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Disagree about the floor plan.

First thing I look for when searching properties to buy, so I expect renters find one equally useful.
    Marg

KateSydney, craigc and Dan Wood like this.
  15. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hi Huss

While others have mostly covered all the points, i would suggest improving kitchen and bath to some extent.

Wyndham Vale is a constantly growing area. Some estates have plans to release land for next 10-12 years. Hence, this issue will be there in futire as well until rents improve in future. At 380 to 400 a week, you have ample opportunities to secure something around the station with 4 bed 2 bath 2 garage with a low maintenance potential.

A brand new 3 bed 2 bath 1 garage around 1 to 2 kms from station is being advertised at 320 to 340 per week.

Hence for an old property to fetch this rental with dated appliances and fixtures seems a bit difficult.

Best to talk to a few agents there to understand their point of view. I do feel a couple of grand spent can take you a bit further and the property might have been vacant at a wrong time.

Regards

MWI and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. Propertunity

I suppose it depends on current market conditions and the level of competition.

In the OP’s situation the vacancy cost to date is $2.5K and there’s no applicants on the table even now. :(

Spooky likes this.
  17. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Your property is not being advertised with any parking, when in reality you have two! This could be a major factor in turning off potential tenants who don't realise its been missed.

Also as others have said, professional photos will make a huge difference.

I would also maybe consider repainting the 'rust' coloured feature wall as its quite strong and remove the pelmet off the curtains.

I think you could benefit from better property managers.

Propertunity likes this.
  18. Huss518

Huss518 Member

Thanks guys, for the last 8 years I have played status quo on this property and haven't had any issue finding tenants, I have been a bit lazy and in turn my agent has been lazy ( managing the manger)

Propertunity and Marg4000 like this.
  19. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

One ten minute open on a Saturday is not really good enough at this stage. Get the photos updated and the listing boosted, then demand the agent throw some letting resources at it.

- Luke

Propertunity and Dan Wood like this.
  20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Fantastic feedback from everyone!
    This is why this site is so awesome