Vacancy Rate

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tomlloyd, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tomlloyd

tomlloyd Member

Just wondering at what level people would be concerned about rental vacancy rates? I'm targeting properties in the inner ring suburbs of Brisbane, but have noticed that many of them have vacancy rates running around the 4% mark. Is that high enough to be concerned about, to the extent that it will affect my ability to find tenants?

2. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Yes anything above 4% is a worry.

But remember the stats don't always match reality, also things change by settlement and you have seasonal factors.

I had a property in Manly with 3 tenants lining up then settlement delayed by 3 months I couldn't find a tenant because it wasn't summer anymore.

Best thing is chat with PMs in the area and ask which suburbs are in demand with which types of property, as well as checking current rental ads online see if the number available goes up or down each week

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Also the advertised vacancy covers all types of property and while there might be a significant level in one type of property another type is still in demand.

4. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

How do you determine the difference? All I've ever noticed on SQMResearch is a total vacancy rate.

5. tomlloyd

tomlloyd Member

Also realestate.com.au have a 'rental demand' score which is based upon the number of visits/property for rentals. I'm not sure how accurate or valid this is, however.

Toon likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

4% is a bit of a concern, some Brisbane rental markets have softened. There are some threads about it around here or at SS.

7. Chilliblue

You need to monitor the vacancies and monitor what leases at what price yourself. Over a few weeks you will start to develop a feel.

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yes 4% is a concern but remember you are buying a property, not the market, if you understand an area know who want to rent where and why you can minimize vacancies and get above average rent.. Don't blindly buy any house with out knowing who your tenants will be and hope. You need to be very selective, and be careful what you believe from RE agents.

Gingin likes this.
  9. Chilliblue

Looking at the area with the high vacancy rate will actually assist you as you will quickly see what properties are being leased and at what price.

Monitor that and you will know which type, style and amenities a property requires for it to be desirable even in a down turn.

wylie likes this.
  10. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

I believe 3% is considered to be a balanced rental market? So I generally look for areas below this.

Cheers,
    Michael

Azazel likes this.