Using BAs, a hindrance to low-ball strategy?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by maverick, 3rd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

It seems like a good time to start low-balling for an IP especially on the east coast. Since I'm interstate, I always thought I'd use a BA for this purchase, that is until now. One of the touted benefits of using a BA is that they supposedly have close relationships with REAs and so have access to the best deals. On the flip side though, would these relationships make the BA more reluctant to low-ball on my behalf for fear of offending selling agents? I would appreciate your opinions on the matter.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

How would you know what a "low-ball" offer would be? Wouldn't you be relying on your BA to advise you?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I wouldn't be jumping into east coast even with low balls as there is probably still some more downwards movement over there.

If I was low balling then I'd be doing it in Perth

Jess Peletier and Brady like this.
  4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

As a BA for 14 years now I feel qualified to comment here :)
    Of course we build on relationships with selling agents- it's in our best interests (and more importantly, that of our clients!) but that doesn't mean we're best buddies. Am I reluctant to assertively negotiate? Absolutely not :D What's the worst case scenario? The vendor says no. We're used to rejection - all part of the job :D And let me tell you, after doing this for so long, I haven't encountered an offended REA yet. We're just doing our job :p

fols, KateSydney, wilso8948 and 4 others like this.
  5. maverick

Trust me, with what I had in mind, wouldn't need much local knowledge to know it's a low-ball!

Westminster, as always, your opinions are greatly appreciated. I plan for this to be a long-term investment and would like exposure to our largest city. I personally think that Sydney, and to a lesser extent Melbourne, will probably start recovering sooner and at a faster rate than Perth. I think rental demand would also be a surer bet. Having said that, I do think Perth is great value for a PPOR atm.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If I was contemplating to use this strategy atm in syd, I'd want it to be a numbers game.

Meaning super low balling heaps of deals . 20 to 50 deals. Trying to catch that 1 extra motivated seller. ;)

I've used this simple approach for Brissy and for Syd pre boom and I got what I wanted.

fols, KateSydney and kierank like this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't really agree with this. I can't see how you can properly "low-ball" without a very good knowledge of the value of the property you're offering on. Ideally, you want to know more than the seller.

Personally I think asking prices mean nearly nothing, and therefore low balling with reference to the asking price means nearly nothing as well.

Rich2011 likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I get that point but I think buying now is probably premature as it really hasn't been dropping that long in term of time. To generally get the most responsive low balls there needs to be more pain.

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The idea of using a BA is that they find better deals (not only cheaper, but with development/improvement/return as per your requirements).
    Deals the average punter wouldn't come across.

So I wouldn't expect a further 15-20% discount on what the BA can find.
    Sure, there's no reason you can't low ball, particularly in this falling market....

My last initial low ball offer was rejected, and after 2 more offers and $25k increase (2.4%) I referenced other local sales and the falling market, then politely said "see ya" !
    The REA couldn't even muster a response!!!

A BA is essential if you are not familiar with the area you intend to purchase in :cool:

10. maverick

Thanks for all the responses so far, definitely given me a few extra things to think about. As mentioned by some here, I'm also considering lurking for a few more months in the hope of further falls. I am a big believer in "no one can pick the absolute bottom", and I think if I can buy in a suitable area (guided by a BA), it should work out long-term.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

I will like to share my personal experience.

I have a couple of real good real estate friends. I asked them before if they have ever thought of becoming Buyers Agent. Their answer are a Flat NO. Reason : They will be ostracized by the rest of the agents who represent sellers as Buyers Agent will be seen as working against them.

I then spoke to two other agents on this topic too and they admitted to me that if there are 2 buyers of a particular property - 1 just a normal buyer while the other represented by a buyer's agent, assuming all conditions offered being the same, they will be more inclined to push the owner to accept the one from the direct buyer. Reason being that they want to "make it hard" for these buyers agent to survive.

So this makes me ponder.. I have to pay a Buyer's Agent money to represent me yet, not able to achieve the best spot in getting a deal done. Umm..

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

LOL - they just don't like going up against professional negotiators in Buyers Agents and would much rather deal with the soft-touch that is a self-negotiating buyer.

Buyer Agents make their life difficult - which is exactly what you are paying them to do - make the life of a sales agent more difficult by negotiating the best deal for you, their client!

13. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

I think it is actually the other way around, BAs make the REA work harder for their money, that why they don't really like to work with BAs, and sometimes REA want to use BAs for quick sell ( off the market sales)

personally I would rather trust BA's words than REA's words :):)

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That tells me that maybe you haven’t gone in hard enough :D.

In every deal I have done, I probably ****** someone off.

As they say in the movies namely, The Godfather:

“It's Not Personal, It's Strictly Business”​

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@kieran Dam.. I must have been sick that day at business school when they teaching business wisdom. I have always thought it was "its not personal, just strictly for fun".o_O

kierank likes this.
  16. kierank

Mate, I didn’t go to business school; I attended the “school of hard knocks” :D.

Apparently, in that other fabulous educational institution (jail), they learn:

“It's Not Business, It's Strictly Personal” :eek:

Sackie likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Lol , trust you! :p

kierank likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I did 'attend' business school but funny thing is, they could never find my name anywhere in enrollments. :D:cool:

19. kierank

Goes to show you that “it's not personal, it's strictly business” :D.

In this case, good business :eek:.

What business educational institution would want a failure like @Sackie in their student alumni? ;)

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Trump University :D:eek:

kierank likes this.