Use of PPoR equity for IP purchase

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by JANG, 26th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JANG

JANG New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking at purchasing two IPs in the near future. My plan is to get a separate loan at 80% LVR for each of the purchases and redraw against the equity in my PPoR to pay the remaining 20% and other purchase costs. I do have sufficient funds in offset accounts against other IPs and my PPoR to pay the 20% but would rather borrow the entire amount needed for the purchase to maximise tax deductions (ie interest). I have a couple of questions:
    1. Should I access the equity in my PPoR as a single line of credit which I then draw on to fund the purchases or should I setup two separate LOCs so that I have one for each new IP purchase?
    2. When I setup the LOC against my PPoR, is there any limitations on what I can use the funds for without "polluting" the LOC and therefore the interest not being tax deductible? I would only use it for IP related costs such as paying the remaining 20% of the purchase price but also wondering whether I can use the LOC to pay other purchase costs (borrowing costs, stamp duty, legal fees, etc) and also maintenance/repair costs once I have purchased the properties?
    Thank you

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3. JANG

JANG New Member

Many thanks Terry