US USA Property Investing

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Scott O'Neill, 10th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

American property grows very differently to Australian property. American economy is very regional and very seasonal. Unless if you invest in Manhattan or Silicon Valley property, it can go either way. The biggest mistake people make (especially the ones that have made a bit of money in Australia) is that if its cheap then its the green light to buy.

On the other hand, their share market, if you know what you are doing, can be far more rewarding. They have a far larger and more dynamic economy than Australia so good money can be made in American shares.

In property however, I would not touch America with a 60 yard stick. You will end up wearing the currency conversion risks, the time and effort needed to study their market and all of that can yield zero return.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What have you purchased in the USA, your experience as a property investor in USA?

No offence, but your comments truly show your inexperience.

Last edited: 25th May, 2017
    adam duckworth and Scott O'Neill like this.
  3. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

You dont need to get electrocuted to know that live wires are dangerous.

I know US employment market well as I have hired candidates from it and into it. I think a few people on here know the places in Atlanta that you are buying into but I will leave it at that.

If you have bought in the US and have made money, good for you but you dont appear to know any more about property than the average user on here.

No offence :)

158 likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No offence taken

Ciao compare

MTR:)

Last edited: 26th May, 2017
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Property Management - you may have to go through a few before you get this one right. The tenants are a different beast to tenants in Australia. Been in it now going on my 7th year in USA, I have fine tuned pm services and had this person now for 5 years and working well.

Also just because the property is higher entry level don't assume for one minute that you wont have pm issues as I said its the tenants that are also the issue. Wherever you buy just make sure its not the hood, even if it is higher entry level, there are good and bad locations in every State.

Loans - there are a couple of lenders, higher interest rates, problem is the set up fees are very costly with this comes risk and mitigating it with your cash flow is very important. If you can go cash I would recommend this for the first property at least so you can work through it.

All markets are moving, once you understand the cash flow position then I would look at loans and perhaps access equity, until then don't do it. Just my opinion from my experience and cash flow position

MTR:)

Scott O'Neill likes this.