International US shares & W-8BEN-E form - claim of 'tax treaty benefits' - query

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by KayTea, 9th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

A while back, my SMSF purchased some ETF shares, specifically ensuring that they were ex-US ones, as I didn't want the headache of filling in all the related paperwork with the US tax department etc. However, come dividend payment time, I've still been hit with the non-resident withholding tax of 30%, as it appears that shares are traded through the US share market and paid/valued using $US. Grrrrr……

So, I'm now in the process of filling in the W-8BEN-E form (while I decide whether or not I want to keep these shares, or unload them while only have lost a small amount of possible increased portfolio value in tax). While the ETF provider has included a very useful guide on how to fill in this lovely piece of paperwork, I'm really stuck at 'Part III Claim of Tax Treaty Benefits.' Do I tick the boxes 14a and 14b?

Has anyone filled this form in for an Australian SMSF, and can provide any guidance?

TIA,
    KayTea

2. Cadbury99

Cadbury99 Well-Known Member

When I filled in for my SMSF I ticked 14a and 14b and wrote AUSTRALIA in the box next to 14a.
    Seems to have worked for me.

KayTea likes this.
  3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Thanks so much @Cadbury99 - I thought that was the case, but it's always good to check.

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What was the quesiton? I did mine not too long ago - vaguely recall doing what Cadbury said

5. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

For anyone that is interested it is where the ETF is domiciled that matters. Usually this is clearly stated.

Lazy people (me) would get VGS rather than VTS and/or VEU for example.

KayTea and Nodrog like this.
  6. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'll know better next time - hopefully. I was trying to be lazy - figured a Aust firm, with ex-US ETF, would not have an US-ties. Silly me.

7. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

For anyone daunted by the paperwork of having to fill in form W-8BEN-E to deal with US tax a handy comprehensive guide is available. It covers all investment entities. But do your own diligence and treat below as a guide:

https://www.morganstanley.com.au/resources/docs/Guide_to_completing_your_W8-BEN-E.pdf

qak likes this.