US international online or direct broker recommendation?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by MWI, 26th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I have AUS Private IPO units that may buy a US based company in the future, that currently trades in US share market. Our investment units would be converted to US units that then could be sold/bought on US share market.
    Hence in order to sell/buy we would require a US broker.
    Can any members here recommend and online US brokerage firm, or do I need to deal via a personal US broker (or AUS broker here that deals with US stock market?)?
    Sorry to sound naive but unsure what is the best way to deal with US stocks directly?
    Thank you for any advice!

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

There's a thread here: Buying US shares in Australia [International]

If you're after convenience, at least some of the online trades like commsec allow you to trade on the US market. It's a more expensive but convenient option.

Buying US shares can be a pain to set up, but it can be done - apparently. I got mired in the procedures.

Schwab is one of the cheapest, at US6.50 per trade. But I didn't get connected - I forgot my password when I was halfway through the identification process, and had to enter my zip code to continue - and it didn't accept an Australian 4 digit postcode.

Interactive brokers are much cheaper per transaction, but require $10pm in maintenance fees, or $10pm in brokerage.

Stake is an Australian startup. They allow free trades, but charge 1% on currency conversions to USD.

3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Thank you @geoffw.
    More likely after convenience, to sell rather than buy, not regularly only when needed, and since it is in SMSF entity name I think I would prefer Commsec instead (would need documentation for SMSF Audit Compliance reasons too).
    Will read through the thread in due time...so huge thank you!

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.