US economy under Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by MTR, 18th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

US business are doing well, so far report coming out for netflix and the banks are block buster stuff but housing is softening, but US is a business and stock market land, property is secondary

The U.S. housing market is running out of steam, but its slowdown looks nothing like the historic collapse that took down the whole economy in 2007.

Home-price growth has slowed for the last several months and is expected to continue slowing as mortgage rates rise. The volume of existing home sales has fallen compared to a year earlier for six straight months. In August, the three-month moving average of new single-family homes built was just over 860,000, down from nearly 900,000 at the beginning of the year.

Housing Market Positioned for a Gentler Slowdown Than in 2007

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There are 50 States, many States are booming and no inventory

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2018
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Oct, 2018
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

6. geoffw

Lizzie likes this.
  7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

The economy is a slow moving thing in response to policy changes.. like a supertanker. The latest figures are 17% increase in defecit and 32% decrease in foreign investment. Trump is busy wrecking the US economy just like he wrecked every business he was involved in.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Well emotional comments wont cut it... we need facts.

GDP for one 4.2%

Here you go have a read of this... numero uno….. US Great Again... but I already knew this, as I have been paying attention to the facts and data on jobs, economy.

Competitiveness Rank Of No. 1 Makes It Official — U.S. Economy Great Again | Investor's Business Daily

9. geoffw

There were facts quoted.
    4 Reasons the U.S. Deficit Is Out of Control
    https://www.bea.gov/data/intl-trade-investment/new-foreign-direct-investment-united-states
    I quoted this article before:
    Robert Reich: The truth about Trump's "booming" economy | Opinion

The stock exchange hasn't been doing so well this year. My view is, based on the growth rates, that it's overpriced anyway.

But that article points out that the stock exchange benefits mostly just the rich anyway; that trade wars are starting to take a toll; and that real wages are the same as they were 40 years ago. You're well aware that housing prices have gone up strongly in recent years- that benefits the house owners, but hurts people trying to buy houses.

wategos likes this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Add in the concerns of those wanting to buy baseball caps. They are made in China and the 25% tarrif apparently applies. Manufacturing facilities for these are extinct in USA. You don't set up such factories overnight even if you have the capital and assuming you want to anyway.

Small issues can start to compound over time.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Personally I have far more concerns Australia will tank with what is currently happening, time will tell

Google manufacturing in US

I dont get caught up with the noise or predictions, or opinions, just on performance now

GDP is a measure of the health of the economy and US has been trending north 4.2%, hardly a sign of a market tanking

I also look at job numbers and US is lowest in 50 years

Happy to review this thread in 6 months to gage US economy and Australian economy for that matter

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2018
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Discussed previously - the unemployment figures do not reflect actual unemployment

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right its all smoke and mirrors same as GDP:)

Just Imagine for one moment what media would be printing if GDP was falling and jobs were increasing. :p

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2018
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

GDP is not a true reflection of what is happening to the "average" person. However - as you used to always bang on about the share market going "gangbusters" as a sign of a booming economy, thought I'd post a refresher chart.

All gains of 2018 have now been wiped out

Screenshot (619).png

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

.....Whats this got to do with GDP
    Google GDP

Do you have shares in Australia? As I have said before......Becareful what you wish for?

US shares dropped 4% last night, ouch.......watch Australian shares ......it wont be pretty

its the tariffs..... fear sets in and investors offload

I am not a fan of shares too volitile

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2018
  16. geoffw

GDP is not "trending" at 4.2%. It had a single quarter of 4.2%. That's not a trend.

The GDP has been healthy. But it's probably good to get your terms and numbers correct.

Screenshot_20181025-085727.png
    It appears to me that it's a trend which has been going on for some time. Q3 figures are due out tomorrow. People are predicting low 3s. Which is still healthy, and which would still be following the trend for a number of years.

It remains to be seen what it will be in the longer term.

Perhaps you meant that jobs were decreasing? Or unemployment increasing?

The thread is not about GDP. It's about the economy. The share market is a part of the economy. And it can influence the GDP
    How does the stock market affect gross domestic product (GDP)?

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its all speculation until it happens, and that is my point. Share markets are volatile, could lose billions in one day, same as what happened in Australia a couple of months ago and then bounced back. We just don't know.

In the meantime...… US is enjoying boom times.....and that is fact. There is talk GDP will hit 4.8 by end of year, don't know?? but I would not be surprised

The trend is heading north

The US economy suddenly looks like it's unstoppable

Booming US economy may soon be the 'strongest since 1999', Kevin Warsh says

Billionaire Ken Langone: 'This economy is booming,' and Trump deserves a lot of credit for it

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2018
  18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The number of well respected US based experts in the field of economics all seem to hint as the "GDP"numbers which will be out in a day or so will come in around 3-5% --3.8%,and 2 more rate rises within six months..

And if you break down the spending trends a lot may have to do with the presales prior to the tariffs ,and you combine that with lower oil prices -rather then retest the 2008 recession lows,even though the country relies heavily on export ..

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Business confidence is high in US
    Interest rates are still low, regardless

US set for decade high GDP growth

willair likes this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Trump has promised 10% tax cuts for middle earners. He was asked if he would sign an executive order. He said no, it would go through congress before November. Congress is not sitting. Another lie.

He was ducking and weaving when asked curther and had to run off. It is purely a mid-term last minute desperate lie to get voters on board who may by now realize his tax cuts aren’t flowing to them but to the ultra-wealthy and who might not vote Republican. Some will fall for it.

willair likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.