Urgh! Chuggers...

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by hammer, 8th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

EoFY - I'm getting heaps of emails and letters from charities promoting the EoFY tax deduction thing.

2. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

I know some of these charities do a good job and that is why I give. I have a priority ranking for the charities and NGOs and have an allocation for the charity each year that I have empathy with. The offering and occasional gifts each year are set and I have learnt not to vary them even if a charity seeks to influence me emotionally with nice glossy brochures, lengthy write-ups at EOFY or at broadly accepted anniversaries.

Attempts at influence invariably fail as the write-ups end up in the recycle bin, unconsidered and unread. Likewise attempts at physically accosting me in malls invariably fail as I would be focused on my intended shopping destination. I would gesticulate I was in a hurry, which most times is true, or politely indicate that I was not interested.

However, I have sympathy for these young people who have to try to earn a living in this way. I was once in similar situation.

3. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Excuse me... Can I ask you a question ?

Yes. [Slight pause, subtle pace reduction]. You've asked it.

Admittedly I have had a few sharper ones that have had a good comeback.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

You're nice.

Mine is usually
    "Can I ask a question?"
    "No"

Orion likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Giving a donation, and then receiving phone calls for years afterwards, is a strong disincentive to donating to anybody.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I get mail every week from the places I donate to. I will donate regardless of whether I'm prompted by a letter and I cannot help but think they are wasting so much paper and money posting things to me. I guess I should call them and ask to be taken off their mailing list.

And one time I had a call from an animal refuge asking if I'd buy raffle tickets. I'd bought a few beforehand, and they then know I'm worth calling for the next raffle, but I decided to donate money instead of buying tickets. The man got quite short with me, told me he couldn't do that. I realise he is being paid to sell raffle tickets and can't just take donations, but his getting testy with me put me right off.

I've since donated directly and refuse now to buy tickets. Assuming it is not donated (car?), then the charity has to pay the for prize and then pay for the ticket sellers. That means many thousands of dollars have to be made before they even get to the stage of any leftover money for the animals.

geoffw likes this.
  7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I hate cold calling and street sales people, regardless of whether they are selling cheap suits, phone service, paintball games, or charity services. I don't care who they are or what they're selling, I'm not buying from anyone that uses that approach.

It amazes me that it is still a selling method that is used, but someone must be buying from them or it wouldn't continue.

My approach is to smile and say "no thanks". The more they persist, the less polite I get.

I used to organise blood donation buses at my last place of employment. I got continually harassed in the same style as charities after dollars, but I was a little more tolerant of that.

Cheers,
    Inertia

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I dont see what the fuss is all about.
    Everyone needs to make a living.

If I have time I’ll have a chat to the kids. Find out what they are about, what they are doing, why they are selling what they are selling and see if if they even know or believe in the ‘cause’. Or if it’s just a job.
    I remember years ago meeting the same girl selling different organizations over a couple of weeks. She said ‘I just sell what ever I’m told to sell’ she was a student and was a reasonably good sales person. Very personable. I’m sure she learnt a lot from doing it.
    Once I had spoken to her a few times she would just smile and wave each time I walked past her. The interaction was pleasant.

At the end of the day if you don’t want to part with your hard earned dollars just be polite and say so.
    The kids are just trying to make their way in life - pretty much just like everyone else.
    They face rude people every day. Why not be the one they remember for being ‘nice’. You never know, they may learn something from your example.

Blacky

Francesco and wylie like this.
  9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

I find this particularly terrible.

Aussies are known globally as a nice, friendly bunch (i.e. suckers in the eyes of some). I remember travelling SEA the difference I experienced when I answered differently to the 'where you from?' question. I learned quickly if I answered 'Russia' the smile would instantly disappear and hawkers they'd do a 180.

Chuggers are turning friendly 'how ya going?' Aussie streets into the cold, ignoring, 'get out of my way' cultures of places like New York.

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is because many of them are persistant, in your face & do not back off when your not interested, I think many work on the idea of hiring persistant pesty people so the softies cave in.

11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Really?
    In Bali Russians are known as the suckers.
    My wife is Russian, and often starts the negotiations. Gets to their ‘best price’ which is often ‘good price for russian’.

As soon as I step forward and say I’m australian (or better Dutch) we can knock off an additional 25-50%.

Blacky

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Interesting... it could be a country based thing. In Vietnam, if I said I was Russian, the smile disappeared and the 180 happened. If I was from Australia I had a new best friend. An interesting social experiment I reproduced a few times. I was told in confidence by a local that Aussies were known as being very friendly / generous.

I wonder have Russians been visiting Vietnam for about as long as Aussies have been visiting Bali? Maybe it's the 'newbies' that are the suckers? :)