VIC Urgent Repairs - VCAT

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JValk87, 13th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JValk87

JValk87 Member

Hello,

We as tenants have had some ongoing urgent repairs for some time, and decided we had enough of it. There is a blame game going on between two apartment owners (including ours) and the Owner's Corp as to who to fix it and we have been escalating the issue with our apartment owner over a year.

I have tried speaking with Tenants Vic but they sound overwhelmed. Vic Consumer Affairs have indicated we would normally go to VCAT, but apparently they are overwhelmed as well and since there may be some other court action pending between different people, that would take precedence over any VCAT resolution.

What are our options? Ideally we're not looking to move. Anyone with experience in this currently?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You could breach the owners of your apartment?

What is the issue?

3. JValk87

JValk87 Member

Water leak. It is coming from an area either controlled by the Body Corp or neighbouring unit.

What would breaching the owner achieve? We have a good relationship with them and as far as I can tell they have been trying to fix it. Sounds like a bit of a disaster for them as well.

I was thinking getting a tribunal involved would be a good idea to resolve it once and for all but from what we're told we probably wouldnt see any resolution from them anytime soon either... so we're better off just moving.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ah it wasn't clear from your first post if the owners were assisting in resolving the issue.

Ideally the owners would take the owners corporation to vcat as it is their asset but they absolutely need to be sure where the fault is at before they try that.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Nasty! Normally, we get it fixed and then figure out if it's an insurance job etc.

However, if it's a neighbouring unit problem (we've had issues with an apartment above leaking), they are not obliged to give the plumber etc access - which really makes thing difficult!

Discuss breaking lease with no penalty - if its any half-reasonable LL, the should agree. No one will be happy, but at least minimise the unhappiness for all.

The Y-man

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Can you discuss escalating the issue with your owner? Let them know it's nothing personal but it has to be fixed and perhaps QCAT action could assist them in pressuring the other parties into a solution?

I don't understand how it's taken a year and they still don't have a diagnosis...!

7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Goodluck. I had a similar issue regarding a water leak coming from upstairs in a previous unit I was renting.
    My own PM/owners were good, but ultimately the process stalled with the upstairs owners and strata arguing between them whose responsibility it was to fix.

It didnt usually cause me a great deal of grief and I eventually moved out for no related reason.
    It did make me wonder about the position it left the owners of my unit in, and chalked it up to a potential peril of being an apartment owner.

Hope it works out for you, but ultimately if it has become unbearable you have the relative freedom as a tenant to at least move out.

AxeLy and wylie like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.