QLD Urgent repairs only 2 weeks after settlement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Cabricabri, 18th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@Clean Cookie you don't mind if I save/steal that fantastic informational post above for future reference do you :D Great contribution!

@Cabricabri you need more information about what has triggered the requirement to upgrade, if anything actually has at all.

2. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Tried that. Didn't work down here.

3. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Cabricabri

Cabricabri Well-Known Member

Just an update on the below. The property manager sent me the message below.

I have called the electrician to get a better understanding of the reason they have quoted on this and this is from Energex. When they attended to connect power to property for the ingoing tenant, they flagged a default notice, they found that the relay to the hot water system is non-compliant.
    As this was flagged, the electrician was called in to fix default notice. They found that the existing size of the switchboard, has restriction so this quote is due to the electrician been forced to bring your property to compliancy. If Energex reattend the property they will defect again and they isolate power to property. They also advised that within the next 6-12 months Energex will be cracking down on this upgrade. Your switchboard is old and deteriorated so there may be issues that will occur if not upgraded. Should you want to know more I am happy to give your contact details to the electrician to better explain this to you.

I honestly don't know if I can believe her.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!!

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Cabricabri,

Ask for more quotes!
    Ask as many questions as you can!
    Can you ask Energex as well?
    Get a full understanding of the issue
    As part of your due diligence was your new investment inspected when you bought it?
    If so do you have a copy of your building Purchase inspection?
    What does it say?
    I hope this helps

6. Clean Cookie

If you upload a few photos I (we) can offer more help than wildly guessing. The Zellweger is most likely mounted on a fixed panel as my previous photo shows. If your board looks anything like your current one, I'd not go without an upgrade, even if it cost 10k because it's 20yrs past its use by date imho.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just call or, even better, email Energex and electrician and ask them about anything that’s not clear.

8. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

"new legislation from Energex"
    Does Energex have the power to legislate? Energex only supplies electrical power.

Why did Real Estate agent inform you the "problem" rather than Energex who reads the metre?
    The best way to get the answer and solutions is to call Energex directly.

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2021
    NickWCBA likes this.
  9. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

The switchboard of one of my houses is 3 meters from the front of the house. I haven't heard anything from Energex.
    My neighbour's switchboard box is about 9 meters from the front of their house, they haven't had the issue with Energex.

Last edited: 1st May, 2021
  10. Cabricabri

Cabricabri Well-Known Member

have uploaded the photos and the defect notice. The Energex Defect Report states that the ripple control has been installed on the floor of the metal switchboard which is non-compliant.

I have asked for other quotes as I am not convinced a switchboard relocation is required.

Attached Files:

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Energex can sever the connection if they find the customer hardware is not up to scratch. They are liable to their workers and all who deal in their supply system.

It doesnt mention relocation. Just the relay fitting is not to standards. That shouldnt be too hard to address.

12. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Not a sparky, but could a sparky not just re-mount it on a raised and insulated and grounded board in the same spot?

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's a tiny enclosure for 2 meters. TLDR do you have 2 tenancies?

Get one or two smartmeters &/or relocated in a new box external to the existing to make room for the ripple control (reuse existing incoming mains, then use a short link to the existing board)

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  14. Clean Cookie

Issue with both of these is there's costs involved to get it in the right spot and may as well just out a q20, brick it up and do all new rcbos.

The cheapest option is to simply abolish the off-peak service and let the tenants pay for more power to hear the hws. That's what I'd do until a full upgrade is possible.

Michael Mitchell and Dan Wood like this.