Urgent : Oven issue (replace?)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by rooster123, 10th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rooster123

rooster123 Well-Known Member

We have Westinghouse freestyle POH776s (electric - no gas connection in house) - not sure how old this is.
    Since last 3-4 years we have noticing issue where either one or two of the four hot cook top stop working and we have to call electrician to fix this. It has happened 3-4 times in last 4 years. Again happened last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So wondering if its worth to replace this with something new? or keep spending on this to fix.
    For replacement, any specific model/brand? cost? cost of installation?

Appreciate your inputs.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Guess there's better tax deduction if you keep repairing rather than replacing, however have to weigh-up how often it's gunna happen, be a frustrating PITA for tenant.

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Replace. I don't think it was that expensive of a model, probably not worth fixing.

Appliances Online

wylie likes this.
  4. Kenster

Kenster Member

For the time and money you spend on fixing the cooktop, it is quicker and more cost effective to replace it new. Replacement job should be easy if you know what what needs to be done. Electrical appliances have plug-ins nowadays (not hardwired) so it is as easy as connecting a desk lamp. Extra work would be to remove the oven to access the underside of the cooktop to unsecure it. Bench top opening may need to be reshaped to fit the new cooktop as well.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

My daughter had a similar oven replaced.
    $600 for oven, installation and the old oven taken away.
    About two years ago.
    Marg

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Awesome company - they work 24/7 too!

I couldn't believe it when I called the 1300 number at 9pm on a Friday night to order an oven....and someone answered. The website said it was 24/7 but I didn't believe it until I tried it.

They price match too - so do some googling beforehand to see if you can find a better deal. Quote it to them and they'll match it.

Cheers

Jamie

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Not a straight forward fix - You need a detached hotplate v's underbench multifunction elec oven etc. Huge range of options and the benchtop "hole" will be a big factor to avoid cutting the benchtop away for a full free standing appliance....Most newer plates have a smaller hole footprint v's old models - Yours is 1999. Check the bench cutout size as you will need it to work out which to buy. Often easier to remove plate to measure the hole unless you want to remove oven to measure it.

Minor cabinet work needed under / above oven unit too. Just a panel - Maybe. Painted so a colour matched paint should be easy if its needed. I had to do that once....PITA

White / staino ??

WestOz likes this.