NSW URGENT Help - Tenant from Hell

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Sha, 15th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Tribunals encourage the public to represent themselves! One has to wonder why they did not make things more user friendly.

I found VCAT's website far more explanatory than NCAT, even QCAT is miles in front if NCAT.

One can self manage for many many years & not encounter a situation like this. Numbers game I suppose!

2. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Yes, both I believe & arguing why it would be 'fair' or 'not unjust ' for the decision to stand!?

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

You keep saying you dont have time for x, y, z... Just get an agent and have them deal with it. It will cost you $$$, but you obviously need to spend some actual money on actual professionals - so use what ever time you have on doing that instead of wasting time reading acts and posting on forums.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Foxdan likes this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yeah, you can say that about many things. When there are no problems, it doesn't matter who you are buying from or what you are buying, its when there ARE problems that you value professionalism and not looking for the cheapest option.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

5. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Inertia

I have actually taken steps in that direction by contacting the agent I was going to use & he has not replied.

I am very dubious about rocking up to just any agent, having had bad experiences in the past.

The last agent I dealt with only 2017/2018...I'd just rather not say!

Direct me to a trustworthy agent & I will be happy to approach them. I did have a good one long ago, unfortunately he sold his rent roll & moved on, retired even.

Easier said than done.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

?? That's what I said the grounds are.

What else would you say? Anything else is probably irrelevant.

7. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

I mean I would argue the opposite...

that the applicant did 'not' have a good reason for not being present at hearing.
    (I can quote her reasons if you wish to hear them).

That the termination & possession & payment of rental arrears was correct, fair and just based on the evidence provided at the hearing & no effort has been made by the applicant to pay any arrears or rent payments since the decision was made, demonstrating no intention to continue the tenancy.

...and...

That the applicant has since vacated the premises, further demonstrating no intention to continue the tenancy.

???

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

That's what I said you needed to do, yes.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

;) yes thank you thatbum

Can Barely keep eyes open at moment.

10. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Thank you thatbum for you help.

For your expertise including psychology;)

You made things clearer & I will prepare my submission so I can post it off.

Sha

Thanks to everyones input!

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Just find it sucks that the system can be played by tenants to a point where its just so ridiculous

If you don't pay your mortgage, they bank will repossess it no matter how much partial payment you make or false promises (excl hardship)

You don't pay your utilities, eventually they get cut off and wont get turned on until you make full payment

I wish rent was the same

luckyone, HUGH72, skater and 3 others like this.
  12. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Hear Hear

They are holding the house hostage right now!

13. snoopy

snoopy Well-Known Member

Hey Sha - sounds like a very stressful situation. Hope you can try and reduce your anxiety and get some sleep.

It sounds like you have correctly focussed on termination for non-payment of rent.

Not sure if you can get the tenants out any earlier than 30 April which must be stressful.

Sha likes this.
  14. Sha

Sha Well-Known Member

Thx Snoopy

Very stressful, just never ending.

At least have missing front door lock replaced, so not just sitting there opened to any passer by.

They are blaming me for kicking the door in......in order to then pass the blame to me for all the stolen items & damage to the property.

You've no idea what is really going on & on & on. Everyday something new. I've been seen at the property so many times, there simply must ne two or three of me.

I don't respond. Its been going on for 3 1/2 months, these accusations.

On a sort of good note, I have managed to contact the owner of a property whom she had done the exact same thing to in QLD.

He was in the NSW police force at the time, but that didn't make it any easier for him than it has for me! He is still chasing $8,000 since obtaining a QCAT order back in 2013. They just change states.

He is willing to assist & support anyway he can with my obtaining compensation via tribunal etc. even just to prove history &/or counter all the applications she may lodge against me in her pursuit for compensation. She tried once & after I served her with my evidence, she did not bother to show at the hearing...just like she did to QLD guy...never shows.

I will pursue compensation & obtain the money order to pursue through the courts. Maybe one day it'll come through. I've done most of the evidence collecting, collating, $480 in printing related costs, so might as well use it.

Of course first priority is to get the property repaired & cleaned, fumigation & disinfection first on the list though.

Fingers crossed they do not return to property & trash it further, I do fear this & I cannot be staying there, frightened to be working on my own there at all. More so after QLD man explained the criminal history of the partner anyway.

Will be needing a lot of luck.

Thank you
    Night for now.
    would love some of those!

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Tenancy laws favour the tenants while the landlords are left to pick up the pieces. But that's ok cos landlords are better off than tenants so they should expect tenants to be better protected by the law.

Equality and fairness? justice?

lol. yeah ok. Next fantasy idea.

TMNT and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Well it's because if you are a landlord you must be rich and throw lobsters off a yacht like diCaprio in wolf of wall Street

Most dumb people simply just cannot understand that owning a 500k property with 100% finance does NOT mean you have $500k in cash that is your pocket money

Sackie, Michael Mitchell and wylie like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm a vegan...I wonder if hurling tofu off my yacht would have the same effect...:D

TMNT likes this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How do Millionaire Vegans do gourmet dining?

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Some of those vegan options look horrible!
    I just assume tmnot only do they look like cement, but they're probably as hard.

So cement>lobsters

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why would you enter into a lease where the tenant's previous address was Hell? :confused:

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2019
    Perp, VB King, Sha and 1 other person like this.