Urban utilities QLD (what diameter)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Oceandonkey, 27th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oceandonkey

Oceandonkey Member

Good morning all,

We are looking to buy and knock down and have encountered several properties that have storm water running directly across the block and not along a boundary.

I use the dial before you dig mapping but can't locate what diameter the storm water pipe is. I ask this because in my search for the answer on this site , I have seen some people comment that the size might be the determining factor to Brisbane city council's desicion.

While on the topic, how likely / unlikely am I going to be to get approval to build right over the storm water.

What's the additional site prep cost to engineer and build so they would approve such an application. Agents tell me "it's no drama" urban utilities said it can be done but it's case by case.

2. Oceandonkey

Oceandonkey Member

An example of one block, the inspection point would also be in our bloc.

Attached Files:

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it's lot 64 ,and the agent's tells you no drama,then ask the agent what they think the costs will be..
    Where does the current footprint of the house cover..imho..

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-known cafe bum of the East Premium Member

I would engage a town planner to investigate and it's likely they will seek technical advice from the engineers they work with. I would also do a pre lodgement meeting with council to make absolutely certain it won't be an issue later that kills your development.

Never, ever, ever, ever listen to an agent on these matters as the gospel.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is the asset Brisbane Council's or the water authority? Speak to the stormwater engineering department and get a meeting with them if necessary to determine the impact and any obligation regards to construction nearby, excavation, support, encasement etc.

6. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

pretty sure thats the sewer main not stormwater, urban utilities owns water and sewerage infrastructure, stormwater is done by council etc bcc.

bmc likes this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

agreed

8. Oceandonkey

Oceandonkey Member

Thanks for the replies, yes it is sewer. I spoke with Bcc and they put me onto urban utilities who put me on their BOA team (build over asset) they advised it's 150mm internal 200 external. They advised onthis property the drama is the inspection point we couldn't build with 1m of this.

The connection point to the home is also 3m in from the boundary and this can't be built over. We can however relocate the connection point to the home / main.

So I understand every job has it's own challenges, but does anyone have any insight into minimum cost for the sewer part of site prep for cost?

Would need to build bridges etc, relocate connection. Am I talking $10's thousands just for this part of the build?

9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

which house is yours and where are you wanting the pipe relocated to?

10. Oceandonkey

Oceandonkey Member

It's number 64 on the map, the lot with the inspection point. I guess the house connection to be on either side as close to boundary as possible so it's not in the way of new home.

11. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

yea around 10k should get it done.

12. Oceandonkey

Oceandonkey Member

Thanks for that, metricon won't give me a ball park for sewer works. Does anyone have any real life examples for what the sewer side of site prep might run me? As an example needing to build bridges etc, moving a sewer connection. Anything required to get approval from urban utilities. Even just a really really tough estimate I'm just completely blind and don't know if it's $10,000 best case scenario or $100k worst case.

The shift to the regions has been quite profound with Millennials and Gen X leading the way. It seems affordability, lifestyle, and working from home have been the key drivers from which these generations have been able to take most advantage.