Upstairs bed(room?), without a wall/door

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by np999, 29th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

I've seen several split level apartments (or even townhouses) that has an upstairs (masters?) bedroom, except that it's not really a room, as it misses a wall and has no door.

An example:
    22/139 Jersey St North, Asquith, NSW 2077

Would anyone consider living in such a "bedroom" that has no privacy?

Personally I'd never consider it, even as an investment property, but apparently, there is a market for it, so I wonder what kind of people don't mind sleeping in a room without a door?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Usually called loft spaces. Lots of light, away from the main floor. Would make a great work area or play area for kids or a sunroom. Not a bad space to sleep with that wall around the top of the stairs.

Archaon likes this.
  3. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Yeah not for me either, the real problem to me is the age of the building though.

Last edited: 29th Aug, 2019
  4. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

The age of the building is quite young.

And just now I found another example:
    39/12 Park Avenue, Waitara, NSW 2077

Seems like these are very new apartments. To me, this sort of design comes down to the developer cutting corners to save cost, and promoted as having a lot of natural light etc. Well, if you sleep in the open balcony,, there will be even more natural light.

Speaking of light, what about those apartments with ceiling to floor glass windows? which are also promoted as having a lot of light coming thru, but I shudder to think of living in such a room, esp in a high rise building, it just feels flimsy and not safe at all. What if a kid running around accidentally bumps into the glass? in this case I also think a big part of such a flimsy design is because the developer is trying to save cost by using glass instead of building a proper wall.

5. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s the issue. And they aren’t advertising the strata fees either. And it’s on the highway.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The Loft is more suited to older kids than to someone who needs a door.

It is a cost cutting exercise for the developer.

I have lived in a warehouse conversion which had a bedroom like that, I have no issues with it.