QLD Upper Coomera - Gold Coast Region - Capital Growth?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by J&E, 7th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. J&E

J&E Active Member

Hi all,

I am looking to invest on a house in the Upper Coomera area (Gold Coast Region). What is everyones views of this area in terms of medium to long term capital growth? Is it a typical negative gearing area to look in to invest>

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Many years ago (can't remember the year) there was a property company that built high rises there and were pushing them in Sydney. They were calling it "Boomera Coomera". It was being pushed as negative gearing, save on tax type investments. I didn't want to go down that track. Also they were pushing their own agenda. Cheaper stuff was available direct, in surrounding suburbs.

I remember watching for 5 years. Nothing happened. What's the growth been like in the last 10 years? Are they still building high risers there? Look at vacancy rates also.

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

What price point are you looking at?

4. Brendan Johnson

Brendan Johnson Member

I can't think of where there are any high rises in coomera. But i did live there for a while and over the past 3-4 years I saw it go from medium 4 bed 2 bath $340k to now around $420k. The only issue I see is that it is very heavily dominated by rentals and there is no scarcity on land around coomera and pimpama with them building flat out. But they are putting in a lot of infrastructure

5. Joker

Joker Active Member

Margaret Lomas thinks Upper Coomera won't boom but will increase in value steadily over time.

6. J&E

J&E Active Member

Thanks Joker. What about Coomera. Is that in the same boat in terms of increasing value steadily over time?

7. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

There was recently some media about which suburbs contained defaulters (ie. bank selling property) and oxenford has recently come up which is adjacent to coomera. Also historically helensvale was on that list - adjacent to coomera. May mean nothing at all, but i think sometimes the banks look closely at these defaulting suburbs. More locally the schools are picking up bad reputations so i don't know if that plays into it at all.

8. Joker

Joker Active Member

Yes I think she was talking about both suburbs.

9. Mogul

Mogul Active Member

You have good and bad areas in Upper Coomera. Prices are on a swift uprise in some areas. Some schools have bad reputations and large renters which are becoming crime hotspots.

10. Joker

Joker Active Member

Which are the good and bad areas?

11. Mogul

Mogul Active Member

Sorry I didn't see this response until now. I don't know the area well enough to give advice as to exactly which are the good and bad areas in Upper Coomera.

12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

EDIT (I know this is an old post but for others reading on the principle remains) Do you know what the vacancy rate is? If you don't then you should find out. Once you do this then you might reconsider.

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2017
  13. God_of_money

God_of_money Well-Known Member

14. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

I had 2 houses in Coomera until last week. I have some others nearby on the north end. Coomera did really well 2014 to late 2015. I see no capital growth since early 2016 and a rapidly increasing vacancy rate. Ive sold one and still deciding what to do on the other.

Infrastructure has improved as mentioned and a very very slow Coomera Westfield is being built, but that's the only bit of gloss now. It's probably not the place to be looking from here on.

15. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

SQM Research - Residential Vacancy Rates

Sqm vacancy stats. I've finally found a 12 month Tennant after the pm struggled for 6 weeks to find a longer term Tennant. Ive dropped rent from 520 to 505 with the understanding it will go up in January ( if I'm lucky)

So far so good in Helensvale and Coombabah, but I'm now being warned about changes occuring in Helensvale

16. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

We bought our PPOR in Highland reserve (Upper Coomera) early in 2015 the market had been flat for a long time & we felt we bought well, 4x2x2 elevated, lake views, pool, extensive landscaping & large covered outdoor entertaining areas, high ceilings 6 year old property for 509k. The property had been off & on the market several times. A 3x2x2 5 houses down from me, smaller house, smaller block no view just sold for $582k last week.

17 Garawarra Crescent, Upper Coomera, QLD 4209 - House for sale #WDEGTJ - LJ Hooker Coomera

. A 4x2x2 just sold for an estate record for a single story house $705k.

21 Abercrombie Crescent, Upper Coomera, QLD 4209 - House for sale #12E5GTJ - LJ Hooker Coomera

Houses are starting to sell quite fast in our aria and prices are steadily rising.

The area is much higher OO percentage in the estate than greater Upper Coomera.

17. KevinJ

KevinJ Well-Known Member

There will probably be steady growth, nothing super significant unless you purchase significant land holdings or development land near key infrastructure sites such as the Westfield, or along the train line from Helensvale circa 1km).

A reasonable place to invest, but there are better options around in the GC, especially near light rail stage 3

big max likes this.
  18. Joker

Joker Active Member

That's how I see it too. Not too bad especially if it costs you little to hold.

KevinJ likes this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Un
    Till more are built and vacancies increase, then you may drop rents or have longer vacancy periods, no one has a crystal ball that it will cost you little to hold, until you do your analysis.
    For me too much land available for future developments, hospitality or construction industry only (hence people in these professions earn less - if they earn less the banks lend less, not much wage growth, properties do not increase much, why?) hence for me for long term I am out!

20. Joker

Joker Active Member

I have had my property for 10 years and never had a problem getting a tenant or having to drop rent.