Upgrading smoke alarms to comply - QLD

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Television, 1st Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Television

Television Well-Known Member

G'day all,

Have recently been advised by my PM that QLD property needs to have smoke alarms upgrade to comply with new legislation that's coming in to force in 2022 (refer here for more info).

They've sent a quote through for $1,500 to upgrade a 3BR duplex... in the words of Darryl Kerrigan "Tell em they're dreaming".

Given you can buy the smoke alarms for about $30/ea and the cabling costs about two fifths of FA to supply, I've decided to seek out my own quote.

Has anyone gotten any quotes from any electricians in the Ipswich area to upgrade their properties?
    Or even a bit further afield, say Logan?

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Firstly 2022 is a long way off.

My electrician (wrong side of Brisbane for you) does them for less than the smoke alarm companies charge due to the one call out fee and his hourly rate.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What's the new requirement entail? Interconnected smokies in each room? Hard wired? Bluetooth?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We are renovating two houses and will be upgrading the smoke alarms.

Our sparkie will be doing this as part of a total rewire.

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Don't forget that they need to be compliant by 01 Jan 2022, so realistically they need to be compliant by 2021.

$1,500 is pretty good, the going rate at the moment for the average 3-Bedroom house is about $2,200.

There's only one alarm on the market that currently complies with the new requirements, made by Brooks, and they're milking that for every last dollar... it's a lot more than $30! We're really banking on some other manufacturers getting their designs approved ASAP to bring down the cost, and I'm told there's at least two that aren't far away.

My Smoke Alarm compliance company has been excellent and suggested I wait until the new alarms are available, but not to wait so long that rates and availability skyrocket around 2021.

On a side note- Safety Watch Australia has a plan where you can pay a $150 "layby" for the next five years, and they will make the house compliant at some stage before 2022. They're obviously banking on the cost of alarms coming down significantly, and having customers stay on- I can't see them making money at that price.

6. Television

Long way off... Don't reckon it'll get cheaper as the date gets closer and people get desperate.

7. Television

CLIPSAL 755PSMA4 | Photoelectric Smoke Alarm 240v/9v GEN 4 NEW MODEL 2014 QLD STANDARD - Clipsal Supplies Online

I wonder why this one wouldn't comply?

Photo electric, 240v powered, interconnectable

8. Television

G'day all,

I got a quote from Shane at Ipswich City Electrical which lines up with how much I think it should cost.

He hasn't completed the work thus far but he was good on the phone and quoted promptly so I'm hoping the rest of the situation runs smoothly.

9. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

I would be waiting a few years unless your current ones are expired as they have a 10 year expiry so you will be burning some years.
    As far as I'm aware brooks is making a killing on there wireless smoke alarms as there the only ones on the market ATM (cost about $150 each) however I imagine other brands will release there versions before the new laws. The wireless ones are handy for getting different floors/abestos roof/skillion roof etc etc however the standard ones are fine.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I expect the QLD requirements will become law in other states soon. While a phased introduction will occur the base AS specs will soon become the norm. The toughest part of the QLD laws is that requirement that ALL alarms must be interconnected and all must sound on detection whether wired or not.

The 2022 data is ONE of two dates rented properties must comply with (even if lease is renewed). They must also comply with transitional rules from 01 Jan 2017 :

• When replacing smoke alarms, they must be of a photoelectric type which complies with Australian Standard (AS) 3786-2014.
    • Existing smoke alarms, manufactured more than 10 years ago, must be replaced (Note: smoke alarms should have the date of manufacture stamped on them). Note also a device without a expiry date is not compliant.
    • Painted alarms must be replaced immediately
    • Smoke alarms that do not operate when tested must be replaced immediately.
    • Existing hardwired smoke alarms, that need replacing, must be replaced with a hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm.
    • Tip : If the existing alarm has a radiation symbol the expiry date should be carefully checked.

gman65 likes this.
  11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Do they have to be hardwired?
    Aren't you allowed to use the 10 year battery ones?

12. Television

Yep, I believe you are allowed to use 10 year battery ones. They need to be interconnected, I haven't read the standard but it seems Brooks has put out one with wireless interconnection. I'm happy to kick it old school and just have them all wired up.

13. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

1yr on - @Television - what did you end up going with and overall cost?

Some of these brooks alarms are ranging from 70 - 110 (ebay) with RRP of 160-180+.

14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I've been looking at this - its going to be an incredible amount of demand coming from QLD in the leadup to 2022. The three things that are making the upgrade cost high:

- need an alarm in EACH bedroom and living area/hallway
    - all need to be interconnected (radio frequency seems to be the current technology if not physically)
    - need to be hardwired or 10yr non-removable battery

I came across a company that's installing them for $169 each at the moment - wonder how much further prices can come down..

In my QLD properties alone I will need 15 new alarms, I wonder if we can add up all the PropertyChat QLD properties and do a bulk deal with a contractor in early 2021 sometime :D

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I love this idea of getting a bulk deal. I have eight bedrooms plus hallways.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ours have been upgraded with the recent renovations and the annual fee has gone from $69 to $129 (or something like that), due to the fact there are now considerably more smoke alarms fitted than before and they are interconnected. Testing still took only a few minutes though.

I don't really see the need to almost double the annual fee.

My son has found a different company who will do ours for (I think it was) $79. I'm going to move over to this new crew as they fall due.

17. Paul@PAS

gman65 likes this.
  18. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

For one of my places in QLD the agent has been proactive last few years and they have had a deal where they replace and existing alarm with a compliant one each year as part of the service visit.

Another PM e mailed recently advising of the change in legislation that is coming and they have been approached by a company with a “special” deal if an order is placed prior to Xmas this year. This is of course aimed at helping me as a landlord beat that rush in 2021 when prices will “sky rocket” due to demand. I will see what the “special” quote comes in at and let you all know.

3rd IP in QLD and the PM hasn’t even mentioned it...house is only 5 years old so maybe already compliant with new standards but I should probably check as my PM hasn’t raised the issue yet.

19. Paul@PAS

An alarm that is replaced annually wont comply with the new rules.

20. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

They change a different alarm each year with a compliant one. Eg 2018 bedroom 1, 2019 bedroom 2 etc.