updating kitchen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Angel, 16th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The kitchen is 1989 green, not Depreciator's trendy Marrickville green. See left side of photo.

The cabinetry is in excellent condition, so replacing the benchtops with beech or another timber would look good with the green. But I also want to replace the doors and drawer fronts as they are the ones with full-length handles cut into them, yuk.

I'll go gloss white fronts but what colour benchtops? Black, or the granite-lookalike that goes with everything.

Hubby is seriously considering doing all this next week over the long weekend. We wont have time to gyprock and plaster the brick wall downstairs, so colours will have to go with dark brown too. The wall where the hotplates are located is angled, we are not touching the cabinetry.

image2.jpg

EN710 likes this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'd go with Granite lookalike, or greyish gloss laminate that looks like stone.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I really like those cupboards! Turquoise is so in right now! (Im really serious)
    Change the blinds to white and paint the wall (white on white or vivid white? ?) and maybe new white gloss splash back of some kind. Plus clean the floor grout to freshen?

The wall oven let's it down from being more modern as the dish washer and stove top look great

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

White bench tops, crisp white paint, possibly a new blind and you're done :)

I don't mind the handles, they're way better than many i've seen - the whole no-handle look is quite popular.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Green is not my colour but I think you could make that look good. New benches, splashback and paint the walls and it could look great!

bob shovel likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

The new PMs viewed it today for the first time and agree that the green is a turn-off. Not as much though as the fact the BC got the trees along the driveway cut back last week and our balcony now overlooks two very awful backyards instead of the tropical oasis it will grow back into next month.

Bob, these are old photos. Last time it was vacant, the rusty wall oven went by-bys.

Attached Files:

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the agent thinks the green has to go, then I'd paint it white, leave the handles and they will blend in with the white. If you are selling, why not paint the bench top too (white)? Replacing the bench top means time and expense of removing cooktop and sink and fitting them again.

White walls and white blind (or no blind).

Is this for continued rental, or for sale?

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I think you need a new PM :p
    Property chat majority has over ruled them!

Perthguy likes this.