QLD Up to 700 Brisbane- Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Damon, 24th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jamie Gartner

Jamie Gartner Member

The immediate neighbours all have recently renovated, well maintained houses.

Just towards each end of the street is overgrown lawns, poorly maintained houses, cars on front lawns, bit of mess. While I understand this isn't all people in public housing, with each new tenant comes a new risk, and I imagine this may detract people in future.

2. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I just saw plans for the redevelopment at the Keperra quarry. How will this likely impact property prices in the suburb? Looking at buying an Investment property in the Kings Park Estate.

3. pucci

pucci Member

House sold for $940k a few days ago

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Wow that's a lot. I bought house for 98k in Jindalee ....1999

5. seadogg14

seadogg14 Well-Known Member

I would be looking at Arana hills as well.

Grugmeister likes this.
  6. sydneysider2120

sydneysider2120 New Member

we are in similar situation. first investment, approved up to 700K, but ideally buy under 600K. Engaged the BA and he came back with the following suburbs based on our preferences: long term investment, capital growth, near zero out of pocket, 3B house, 500sqm+ land, preference to northern area:

Bracken Ridge
    Taigum
    Boondall
    Zillmere
    Bald Hills

There are few others recommended, but they are a bit further from the city and are not part of
    QLG Priority infrastructure plan. The first 3 might be a bit of a stretch for us, but the last two are more realistic to get a decent investment property.

I like the idea how close Zillmere is to the CBD, but it has the highest reported crime rate per person amongst these sububrs. Also, it has the lowest household income. I know Zillmere was considered "housing" area, but I read somewhere a lot of them were bought out by private owners. Given how close it is to the city I have a gut feeling that socioeconomic situation will improve significantly there, but I really have no experience in this kind of analysis.

Bald Hills has definitely better situation with social housing and also has train station and access to M1/M3, definitely has a higher demand compared to Zillmere, but it seems like there is higher risk of flooding.

Any advice on these suburbs?

PinkPanther likes this.
  7. boganfromlogan

Why would u have a preference for Northern area? Are u snookering urselves a bit?

8. sydneysider2120

to be honest, this was a very subjective starting point based on some feedbacks my wife read a while ago. Similar to how northern areas in Sydney are considered better compared to western ones. We are not committed to Northern area and may change our options or just add other suburbs to the list and BA will provide us a report on those too.

9. JS-C0nfus3d18

JS-C0nfus3d18 Active Member

If you were to consider any of these suburbs to live in, which one would you pick?

We're looking for semi-new (up to 20 yrs old) 4 bed home in 'new-ish' estate in following suburbs with a budget of around $750k, 500 sqm+ block

Enoggera
    Keppera
    Everton Park
    Ferny Grove
    Stafford
    Manley West
    Holland Park
    Rochedale
    Forest Lake
    Mount Gravatt
    Springwood

Are these suburbs safe to raise kids? If they're good, any particular pockets to avoid? What we find these days is good things about suburbs, but what we are looking for is bad things so that we don't end up living in not-so-nice neighbourhood.

I wish I could visit these suburbs in person but we are interstate, so that's not an option in current situation.

Any insights? Also, if you were to consider one suburb from growth perspective, which one would you pick if you were to compromise on house?

PinkPanther likes this.
  10. boganfromlogan

Well that would be a bit bizarre. Kinda like saying East Perth is best because East Adelaide is best.

Is North Melbourne best?

I think u have sabotaged Ur search.

Never giveup likes this.
  11. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

Bracken ridge and bald hills are great options next to the water at Sandgate and very family friendly. Have a search on the forum loads of threads on both.

sydneysider2120 likes this.
  12. sydneysider2120

Not really. The northern area is greener, has better transport, lower density. but I am here not to argue about that.
    I am more after opinions on my list of suburbs and particularly Zillmere and Bald Hills

13. boganfromlogan

Wow. Less green, poorer transport, and higher density.

Where are u getting Ur ( mis ) information from?

We find North dusty hot and crowded. There is one transport loop I like but it certainly isn't out where u are looking at.

Good luck with that!

Edit: best rationale for North is proximity to Sunny Coast

14. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

I'm in BH. There's a bunch of whinging on BR Facebook page about rents going up. We've been here 6 years.

I've left the garage door open for multiple days. I've left the shed open (visible from the street) for 3 weeks whilst away. Only issue I've had is people shutting them for me haha.

Last week a bright red torch had fallen out of my car and I drove off and it was on the street. 30 minutes later I got a text from a neighbour 3 doors down saying he'd stashed it behind my bins.

The next day I was in bunnings and another neighbour 5 doors down pulled me up and said he saw someone taking my torch and stopped. Then realised he was putting it away haha...not sure the same would happen in Zillmere but it will be a good suburb one day.

I love our street. We host a Christmas party and had 35 people from our st come despite covid last year!

We were looking closer to the city but bought an IP in the old BH down the road from the train station instead and it rented within 24 hours.

15. thokkotu

thokkotu Well-Known Member

I have seen some houses near Deagan which may fit in your Budget ... Deagan is decent area and yes avoid flood prone marked homes

16. boganfromlogan

You had better wear your mask. Your neighbours will be pointing THAT out too :)

17. couq

couq Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good list. Of all the areas listed I would put:
    First group: Holland Park, Enoggera, Stafford, Ferny Grove (OO areas and all seeing very good growth I think 750k for 4 bed on 500sqm might be very hard)
    Second group: Manly West, Mount Gravatt, Keperra, Rochedale (bridesmaid suburbs to listed in first group with room for growth (750k for 500sqm getting much harder)
    Third group: Springwood, Forest Lake (newer homes, location less desirable)

18. carfield

carfield Well-Known Member

i just recently purchased something in Ferny Grove (thanks to this forum suggestion). but literally when i started looking late june it was like 750k with choices, prices suddenly spiked in july and literally i signed mid July but it had 8 handle for something that sold for low/mid 700s just a month ago from when i bot it.

for 700ki think you have to move out to Warner north of Eatons hill to buy. even those, 500k houses disappear within days...

Branden likes this.
  19. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

I'd be avoiding the area where there is LMR Zoning in Zillmere for a standard investment property. This is the area where this is also high crime. Zillmere is a suburb divided by the train line - the east side is not as desirable as the west side. Just a tip ;)

20. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I can only give you some details about Stafford.
    It is an old suburb that have high elderly retiring and moving on. New young professional family are moving into the suburb.
    Alot of knock down and rebuild in the coming 10 years. Due to the older properties was build in the 1960s post war. It is past their used by date IMO.
    Record prices being set on most streets - I mean NEW executive homes are fetching 1.3m to 1.8m. Developer blocks have already been snapped up. I haven't seen any for 2 years now. Unless it was sold OFF Market before hitting the market.
    Stafford shopping center is dated, I think there are plans to refurbish it sooner than later.

Retail & Refurbishments – Stafford Shopping Centre

A new 24 hours medical center application.

24 Hour Medical Centre - Stafford Road, Stafford

$750k won't get you much nowadays for good street, unless it is a renovator delight.

Hope that gives you some insight.
    If you want to know about Wooloowin, Clayfield and Morningside, at a much higher price but it is much closer to premium suburb next door type.

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2021
    JS-C0nfus3d18 likes this.