Unverified Late repairs invoice - IP

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by AxeLy, 9th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I had an IP in Melbourne which was sold 3 months ago, in Sep-2020. This morning my previous PM sent me an invoice of $550 for repairs work supposedly done in March-2020. I did not authorise this repairs, nor was I ever informed about it. Kindly advise if I could ignore it ?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dont ignore it. Call the pm and ask what it is.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

This 9-month-late invoice was from a PM whom I had discontinued service in April, due to her numerous lies and sluggish working attitude. I won't believe any more of her deception.

4. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

Will I be sued if I ignore the dodgy invoice from a deceptive agent ?

5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I would just ignore it

Sylvia and AxeLy like this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Just put the bill back in the envelope, write "return to sender, not known at this address" and pop it back in the post.

Sylvia, AxeLy and Tom Rivera like this.
  7. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Assuming you're anything like QLD, If your appointment of agency doesn't allow the agent to authorise repairs to that value on your behalf, technically they had no right to organize the works withour your approval.

@Lil Skater have you got anything to add?

Lil Skater, Sylvia and AxeLy like this.
  8. AxeLy

AxeLy Well-Known Member

I work overseas thus I depended on my PM to manage the IP in Melbourne. Market rental was $400/week, yet IP was left vacant for 4+ months despite multiple advertised rent reductions from $400/week to $300/week. Ex-PM claimed that "market was slow" . Then there were supposedly "some enquiries" but checks on tenants "not great". Then she said she gotta work from home so she had left my house key with reception -- any interested renter could pay $150 security deposit, leave with the key, inspect the house, and return the key any day to claim back the deposit. I was appalled by how she had trivialised my hard-earned IP.

I had a new PM take over in April. IP was rented out within a week at $400/week. The same agency managed the sale for me.

I had thought that the chapter was closed. Then came the unexpected 9-month-late repairs invoice for payment of $550. @ Tom Rivera, in my appointment of agency, I did authorise urgent repairs of up to $1000. However, in this case with a sluggish lying ex-PM who had been sleeping on my account for months, I seriously wonder how genuine the invoice was. There is no way I could verify if the repairs work was carried out, and my new PM has no information about this.

I agree with @ Momentum & @ Mark F. I shall ignore it.

Tom Rivera and Sylvia like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Even if you have authorised up to $1000 for urgent repairs, I'm betting this was NOT an urgent repair.

I wouldn't ignore it. I'd call them up and ask WTF? Tell them it was unauthorised, and you were not informed of anything, so you are not paying it, as all invoices should have been up to date at time of transfer to new PM.

Dan Wood, Sylvia and AxeLy like this.