Unusual conversation with my Doctor

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I use a large medical practice which is not advertised as bulk billing, but does bulk bill when you become a regular patient. At the end of the visit to my doctor this morning, she said that as a result of Scott Morrison cutting the rebate on patient visits to the group practice this January, it will result in a loss of a large sum [she did tell me how much, but wont disclose on the forum] to their bottom line.

The practice is worried about increasing fees for pensioners and was canvassing how people like myself, a SFR who is also bulk billed, would feel about paying say, the full price every 5-6th visit. My reply was 'OK with me'. Has anyone else had this conversation with their doctor? See below

'The Federal Government has changed a key geographical classification, scrapping some outer suburban zones of incentives intended for rural areas.

From January 2020, the bulk-billing incentive in outer metro areas will be reduced from about $10 to $6 per patient, per visit.

The changes will affect GP practices in as many as 13 outer metro regions, including in Canberra, Adelaide's south, the New South Wales Central Coast, Geelong and the Mornington Peninsula.'

I live in the Hunter so this area is affected,

How good is this Australia?

Medicare bulk-billing changes will lead to reduced services, doctors warn

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We pay rack rate at our GP. FWP?

3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We are SFR and pay full price for every GP visit - Newcastle.

4. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

Anything that is free is abused IMO.

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We are SFR (no health card) and hubby pays full price for every visit to his doctor.
    My doctor bulk bills me.

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Question is - will your doctor be happy to lose $4 on every patient he sees or will he increase your fees?

7. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We pay $80 per visit and medicare refund is credited directly to our account. We are happy to pay and contribute a little extra towards those who might not be able to. Sort of pay it forward:)

Shogun and wylie like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We pay those figures to ... think the rebate is just under $40 but it's what you pay for a decent doctor in a rural area

Islay likes this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The last time I visited my Dr's they made me wait over 50 minutes

Then said "we last saw you nearly 5 years ago" !

I pay full medicare levy and for each visit ...........

Does that make me a poor customer or a great taxpayer o_O

10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

If they ask you about your holiday and having a laugh, it probably means that they are asking all their other patients as well, which increases your wait time.

Assuming you had an appointment, and were not just a walk-in, send them an invoice.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We usually have a discussion about training, he's keener and a much better athlete than I.

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Good to know. Maybe no invoice for him from you, despite half the waiting room wondering about how his cameo in the Eric Prydz Call On Me video could be relevant to your <non-training related ailment that doesn't need disclosure> when they also have other scheduled appointments.

Like training.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.