Unrest in the USA at the moment

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 31st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Well mass peaceful protest is good but it has to go further, has to disrupt society with civil disobedience, blockades, etc. Only then does it get more attention, sometimes with violent police response, but that´s whats works better than "allocated protests". When it descends into violence though it has the opposite effect and gives fuel to the other side.
    But ultimately requires good leadership at all levels, lacking in the US at the moment. Demonising one side isn´t going to work.

Perp and Lizzie like this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    These issues have been simmering for years, decades perhaps. Rampant racism, massive wealth gap, inequalities everywhere, widening divisions across the board - I mean what do you expect at some point it's gonna hit the fan?

What happened to that poor man is inexcusable, revolting and horrible - people are right to strongly protest this. We can only hope this will bring lasting change, but it seems rather unlikely. Just more divisions, more racism, inequalities, and another old white dude at the helm comes autumn.

Man, you could not pay me to live there.

Shazz@, HUGH72, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  3. random

random Well-Known Member

Not much sympathy l'm afraid , sounds hard l know but with what l've learned about America itself and it's people over the last decade or so and much of it first hand , l dunno . l have a hard time finding much respect for the place at all on the most part.

Spiralkut likes this.
  4. Spiralkut

Spiralkut Well-Known Member

Apparently he did survive although watching the video he looked dead, broken wrist, broken back etc. I've seen suicides and dead bodies in the flesh through work but seeing that guys body afterwards through the video was one of the most disgusting things I've seen.

George Smiley and kierank like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have lived in US too, it amazes me what the masses are fed and believe. I agree there will always be a divide, it will never change

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

This ultimately is kinda the problem. That's why there are these anarchic protests.

In here and most of the developed world, when there is a problem...we look into it and address it, not always successfully, but it is addressed. Look at NZ and Oz post massacres....France post terrorism, "closing the gap " policies here, heck - even the coronavirus response..

The responses aren't always effective but efforts are made to improve, and over time we generally head in a positive direction. It's by no means utopia but it does mean that everyone (more or less) gets access to a base level of education, healthcare and opportunities.

If you're poor in Oz, you can still go to uni, get that chronic disease looked at, get your children into childcare and a good public school. It will all be hard due to all the socioeconomic stuff that comes with being poor but it's much, MUCH better than the American model where your schools are essentially seperated along socioeconomic lines, it's impossible to get into uni (unless you're amazing at sport) and healthcare is something that has to be put off till tomorrow.

You combine this with systemic racism, a major pandemic and loose federal leadership and the fuse is well and truly lit.

Propagate, Shazz@, HUGH72 and 6 others like this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you need to separate the criminal activity from the actual issue. The violence, looting etc has nothing to do with the death of Floyd

I posted a link where intelligence have identified the agitators

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2020
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We are number 5

I think we have slipped a tad, not complaining:)

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings

10. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Leadership, But the problem is only some-one born in the USA can be leader. The USA has had to import its brains, German war crimiinals but man on the moon, migrants built silicone valley. Australians developed the nuclear bomb. Should give power back to the British crown so laws can be enforced equally and better laws introduced, the american mindset is RS.Epogenetics at work. Worst thing the yanks done was kick the poms out. what a different world it would be . When I lived there what struck me was how you has to wear the big hat the big boots and swagger to be accepted. Acted tough but they were **** scared **** scared of everything, of what people though of them , they wouldnt travel with me because it was bad for their image to be seen in an old car, say dont go to that part of town because of the negro, so I walked down there to see why, and found the most welcoming friendly and broadminded people and more intelligent people. Then they were scared of the russians and gays. It is why those guys carry guns they are cowards scared of everything outside their bubble.

Propagate, HUGH72, Perp and 2 others like this.
  11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Floyd was the spark. What I described was the buildup of tinder and kindling....

Perp, wylie, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

... and COVID-19, unemployment, their President, etc were the jerrycans of petrol?

Lizzie likes this.
  13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

2020's going well

upload_2020-6-1_7-13-55.png

HUGH72, Gockie, George Smiley and 3 others like this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

One wonders how much damage will this unrest cause to the USA economy which is already so fragile.

The people will be paying for all the damage, to cars, the roads, the buildings, the businesses, their stock, ...

15. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

To be honest the issue of race and policing in America is such a complicated issue I'm not sure where I stand on it at the moment. On the one hand the stats show that African Americans are over represented as victims of police brutality but things become much more complex when you have the ever present issue of poverty and a culture of crime in some minority neighborhoods which surely make violent incidents with law enforcement much more likely, and not always with an explicitly racist motive.

Ben Shapiro has made some good arguments that the police in the US are not institutionally racist, but I guess it only takes a few racist and/or heavy handed police to spoil that image. Some of these incidents for example might be down to a combination of poor training and heavy handed police officers who treat subjects with an unacceptable level of force regardless of race.

What I'm a lot more clear on is that America is a very unequal society with the cards too often stacked against the working and middle class, and too many African Americans are born into the disadvantaged bottom rungs of society than would otherwise be the case had the US not been a notoriously racist country for much of its existence.
    Whether it's education, the judicial system, healthcare or economics, the system works well at perpetuating disadvantage. Take the judicial system- if you're a well connected banker in HSBC then it's ok, you're part of the priviliged class so won't have to answer for that Sinaloa cartel money you washed by the millions (just don't get caught dealing a couple of grams of the white lady on a street corner, you'll do serious time for that), or if you the CEO of Lehman Bros you're allowed to participate white collar crime on a massive scale, bankrupting and ruining the lives of millions of your countrymen, but hey, at least you weren't caught using a fake $20 bill at a convenience store.

marty998, Perp, Toon and 11 others like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

From what has been said over the years, I strongly suspect you lived amongst the wealthy, white and privileged ... correct me if I'm wrong ... observing the downtrodden, disadvantaged and underbelly from the outside rather than engaging and this has lead to a blancmanged view.

Often those outside a situation can see a lot clearer than those with vested interests, or pre-conceived bias.

No one is born racist - it is taught

Perp and wylie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is leadership:

https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the...5kaUqOyJM5znBjPx6EtvkKdSeIHPp9W_x8fR-TSHyfT_0 ...
    Footage posted to social media shows the sheriff giving hugs, handshakes and pats on the back to protestors. “I want to make this a parade, not a protest,” Swanson can be heard saying on a video posted to social media.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/31/nypd-...fCmaYw82406o3qhcCgmjrIpWP7B6a1YuR9F3KLf2WNpWU ... NYPD officers in Queens took a knee beside demonstrators on Sunday, as civilians read the names of black people killed by cops

Propagate, Perp and inertia like this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of how this has escalated, how can anyone who watches that police officer press his knee into George Floyd's neck, whilst he's pleading for a breath, calling out for his mother - and have one of the officers say "then get up and get in your car" (which was a cruel taunt), and then continue to press his knee into his neck after he's stopped breathing, he's handcuffed, for more than another three minutes, with onlookers pleading for them to help him, allow him to breath... just disgusting that they've only charged one with third degree murder.

The other three stood around and let it happen. They should all be charged, and perhaps that might calm things down a little.

Anyone who does not understand why people of all colours feel the need to call for a stop to this totally unnecessary targeting of non-white people has no heart, certainly no understanding.

It was good to see police taking a knee in some footage this morning. It's terrible that all police (or many) are painted with same brush as those who clearly are racist. I couldn't help but wonder how the black police felt whilst barricading themselves inside the CNN building against people of their own race, abusing them, throwing rocks and bottles at them.

I'm surprised there wasn't more violence, and I believe many looters took advantage of what started as peaceful protests. It paints them all in a bad light, which is a shame.

HUGH72, Perp, George Smiley and 3 others like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So if you live in a nice suburb in Australia you could never empathise or understand racism

That’s probably means most on this forum:(

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

This is a very powerful experiment ... a must watch for those who do not understand how non-whites feel

Gockie likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.