Unregistered QLD Buyers Agents

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Paul@PAS, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have encountered a few clients who have recently bought in QLD using unlicensed buyers agents...Typically those that operate out of NSW. Often young and inexperienced and definetely unlicensed.

Anyone recomend a list of those they know who are licensed and those that arent ?

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Propertunity and Perthguy like this.
  4. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Talk to the relevant queensland licencing department .I remember they said it was a grey area when I rang for information on it .I ended up doing the full Real Estate licence course and paying the licence fees just to make sure I was covered .
    Even ask the person you are dealing with for their licence number too before proceeding

andrew_t likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's not a grey area. You need to be licensed in each state and territory you buy in (even if you are licensed in you head office location).

Jacque and DaveM like this.
  6. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

The information I received a couple of years back while researching it in qld (before I became licenced )was when I called the licencing body they told me if I am only helping people find property but not negotiating on their behalf or transacting the deal I don't need a licence .

7. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised.

Buy a handful of cheap properties in crapsville, stick your head in a magazine- Boom you're an expert.

Start a property consulting agency, post lots of motivational crap on Insta. Livin the dream. Bro.

Kevvy7, Foxdan, DaveM and 3 others like this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Always ask anyone you use, whether its an accountant, BA, broker, tradesperson, for a copy of license/insurance and independantly verify its validity.

9. Paul@PAS

Hard to see how a person can consider they dont need a QLD RE license Appointing a real estate agent (buyer's agent) | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government

Even shoring a potential property to a buyer seems to a need a license. Let alone any discussion with vendor, vendors agent or mention of price.

Reason they arent licensed could be education, experience or qualifications or one of these reasons:
    • are an insolvent under administration
    • are currently disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate.
    • have been convicted within the past 5 years of a serious offence .
    • have a criminal history
    • have been an executive officer of a corporation that was previously licensed, but has gone insolvent
    • were the subject of a successful claim fund action
    • have been cancelled or suspended from holding a licence or registration certificate
    • have been previously disqualified from holding a licence or registration certificate
    • are disqualified from being a company director
    • have previously been an insolvent under administration
    • are incapable of satisfactorily doing the job of a licensee
    • are unsuitable because of your character or the character of your business associates
    • are allowed to work in Australia.
    • violent offences (including threats to use violence)
    • fraud and dishonesty
    • drug trafficking
    • extortion
    • arson
    • unlawful stalking
    • an offence of a sexual nature.
    • has gone into receivership or liquidation.

10. Paul@PAS

And a few posts on a forum.
    Sadly I have seen a few enter the mortgage broking industry with even less credentials. One former client did a full editorial with a defunct mag and bragged about his 9 properties and his success...Three month after starting out. . He must have bought 7 new properties in the past few months too I guess...or embellished.

LOL - Easier to become a tattoo artist .....And a license to tattoo comes with no experience or skills with spelling or drawing :eek:

Jacque likes this.
  11. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

www.rebaa.com.au a good start, as members who aren't licensed cannot apply for membership (amongst other entry parameters)

Unfortunately there are a no. of operators crossing state lines without a licence, which is very troubling for purchasers. It's so easy to check a company or individual's licence online
    Check a licence | Your rights, crime and the law | Queensland Government

12. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Do you have a Bentley in your garage? Bro.

fols likes this.
  13. fols

fols Well-Known Member