Unregistered Granny Flat worth purchase?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Medusa, 15th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Medusa

Medusa Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I'm considering purchasing an old 5Bed house with granny flat built in rear. Flat has its own seperate driveway and is completely fenced off from main house. The price is extremely attractive under 300K (if I could rent separately I'm talking close to 10% yield), catch is the granny flat is not registered and there are no plans available. I inspected the granny flat build looks well done. Footings, stumps and pluming look good as well as correct legal spacing to boundaries.

I called a local building certifier who said I would have to get plans drawn up, get a builder on board to take 'ownership' of build for insurance purposes and it would cost me best case under 10K but worst case up to 30K.

Has anyone here had similar issues and what they did about it? I'm happy to pay say upto 20K to get all issues solved, but I cannot be given a 100% yes answer from council so I'm scarred to take the leap. Agent has hinted that because it is not a capital city and council is not so strict I could just get separate water and electrical meters installed and rent it out separately without any issues.

Cheers for any advice.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Make it a condition of the sale that the vendor organises it - agree to pay them 20K more .

Beano likes this.
  3. Alex Harnden

Alex Harnden New Member

When was the granny flat built approx? Who built it any idea? Does the vendor have Form 21 Certificate of Completion for the GF?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that permissible in the Council area?

Propertunity likes this.
  5. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Be careful of the eye in the sky. Council will have historical pictures and may use this against you plus any documentation they may have on record. Would not rely on the agents word in such an important issue.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

+1 for this ^^

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.