Unreasonable rent increase

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Montgom90, 7th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

If it's not really about the money then this whole thread is not valid?
    As a landlord I'd be upset at my tenants up and leaving with zero notice. Different story when the shoe is on the other foot though. . . .

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

But would you have managed it different so it didn't get to that stage?
    And as they're week to week they dont need to give notice

Last edited: 8th Nov, 2016
  3. Montgom90

Montgom90 Member

@Sonamic Who said anything about leaving with zero notice? I will be providing as much notice as possible, and I certainly will not be just walking out without at least satisfying the minimum notice period. If I could guarantee that my apartment was going to settle in 12 weeks time, I'd gladly inform the PM of my intentions. Problem is, I don't know when completion will be. Am I to just take a guess and risk being homeless if the apartment isn't completed?

The fact that the dollar amount is minimal does not mean the thread is invalid. If a tenant just decided to not pay $200 in rent would you accept that? Would you not feel like the tenant wronged you?

Perthguy and Joynz like this.
  4. Montgom90

Montgom90 Member

Rent increase has now been cancelled indefinitely. I'm going to take that as confirmation the original letter never existed. Still cannot believe they tried to pull that one though, some dodgy operators out there.

And now I await the move out notice!

5. Sonamic

I'm sorry I misunderstood your "delight to inform PM of vacating" as zero notice. In a week to week situation does the LL not have the right to increase rent? I understand your not wishing to sign a proper Lease to avoid being signed in for $450 for any longer than needs be.

I'm going through a similar thing at the moment with one of my tenants, so trying to understand both sides and whose rights are whose. Lease is up mid January (12 month). PM has spoken to both parties midway through last month. Tenant is awaiting news from a Broker to see if she can proceed with a purchase of her own. Find out in the next week or two. I personally wouldn't let a Lease get to week to week. Too much uncertainty. For both parties.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I doubt the poster will leave "with zero notice". The tenant needs to give the appropriate notice under the lease, which I'm sure will happen once.

To the OP, do make sure you give the correct notice so you cover yourself.

Edit: I replied before I read further replies, that cover what I've just posted, but also I would say that rent can be increased when tenants are on a month to month lease, but notice periods also apply.

And it sounds like things will be ok... good on you for standing up to the PM and landlord who were clearly both trying to "do a dodgy".

bob shovel likes this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's month to month, not week to week. The LL has to give 60-90 days notice depending on the State. The tenant has to give next to nothing. Yes, you can give rent increases during this time.

There's no more uncertainty than a fixed lease. If a tenant wants to move during a fixed period, they still can & do. A fixed lease is more a deterrent, than anything. Probably about a third of our tenants are on month to month, and they are all long term. So long as they like where they are living, can afford it, and the rents are at market, there's no incentive for them to move out on a whim, and as long as they are decent tenants, there's no fear that the LL will want them gone. Moving is inconvenient & expensive.

8. Sonamic

Thanks for explaining.

OP does state week to week, so it's not month to month by their own reckoning.

And you're right moving is expensive. Just have to keep the rent increases less than the cost of moving, and be punctual with repairs.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not necessarily! We keep rents at market (or higher). If the market moves $5, then they get a $5 increase. If the market moves more, then they get that as well. If the market drops back, we don't move our rents UNLESS a property becomes vacant. If they are happy where they are, they don't bother looking elsewhere. For instance, we have one in Western Sydney with a long term tenant. She's not the greatest tenant, but really hasn't done anything that we would move her along for.....but would be glad if she did move. Her rent is well above market rates. If she annoys me, she gets an increase. If she stays, I'm happy because I'm compensated for the annoyance factor, if she moves I'm also happy because I can reno the place & get a better tenant.

This property is dated & needs a reno. We wouldn't keep her if the place was nicely reno'ed, but it's not. She doesn't do any damage to the property, it's just not kept as nice as it should be, and she's regularly late with the rent....but pays up as soon as the PM gets on her case. The property was bought to reno, more than 10 years ago & we were a little busy at the time, so thought we'd put in a tenant temporarily....she's still there. In it's current state, it's the worst property in our portfolio. It's kept well maintained, but is very dated.

Gypsyblood, bob shovel, Susan and 2 others like this.
  10. Sonamic

Haha! Yes same scenario here. I'll normally go $10 a week at each 12 month renewal. Have a tenant that I've had in my worst one for 3 years. Needs paint and carpets, but she has 3 teenagers,2 dogs, and tanked reptiles. But she's always on time with her rent. I don't want her to go, but if she's happy to wear an increase every 12 months I'm happy for her to stay and put the cashflow aside for vacating freshen up.

11. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The problems with month to month tenancies are :

The tenant can move without consequence at a really inconvenient time of year. Eg winter in an area where property leading is more popular in the warmer months, or outside of the peak demand seasons near universities.

If there is an insurance claim for rental default, the insurers tend to cap it at a payout for for 2 weeks worth of rent (compared to 16 for fixed term tenancies). Some insurers won't pay out at all for rental default on a month to month tenancy.

Gypsyblood and wylie like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This has happened to me... twice. It can be expensive.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Me too. We had one tenant leave on 20 December (my brother drew up that lease without thinking it through), and we also had a house empty at Christmas. Funnily enough, we got a call Christmas Day, showed them through Boxing Day and they took it immediately (two young guys and no family).

But timing to suit best rental time is what we try to do.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My area has a downturn in winter. Last vacancy was 12 weeks at a very competitively low rental price. December - February are the best times to find tenants where we are.