Unpaid water usage - tenant left

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by mikey7, 27th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Curious as to what you guys do.

My previous tenants moved out early February. I sent the PM the water bill for the previous period (Sept-Nov), back in December (the email was receipted), for them to recoup usage costs, as has always been the case.

I have not received any sort of payment for the usage during this period, and of course the tenants have moved out and the bond released. I expected the PM to recoup the usage at or before they moved out, but it hasn't been done. My last monthly summary showed the last week and a bit payment from the previous tenants, and the payments from the new tenants minus re-lease fee etc.

Now because the tenants moved out early Feb, the water usage between September and early Feb hasn't been paid, and is out of my pocket.

Is this just something you suck up, or would you be asking the PM what the go is, and try recoup it from them. It would be about $300 in usage, easy.

Mike

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Well surely asking the PM what the go is would be first up on the list, since you asked them to recoup it earlier.

Ted Varrick, KayTea and Terry_w like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

PM should have had a meter read done and adjusted usage from the bond.

If they did not and have not collected it from the tenants, then ask for a refund of letting fee to cover their incompetence

4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Cool thanks guys. I'd rather ask the question and sound dumb on here, than to the PM.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

No such thing as a stupid question :cool:

(Bet the PM is hoping you dont ask also :p )