Unmoderated Politics forum

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Propagate, 12th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

{Note from mods - this thread split from here: Politics forum guidelines}

Is there a reason there can't be an un-moderated, "enter at your own risk", area? Surely people have thick enough skin to deal with an un-moderated area. The US politic threads have been some of the most interesting reading on here in ages. (Don't read that as a dig, it's not, I've genuinely found them informative on many levels, little nuggets of interesting links posted here and there from both sides of the fence). Sure beats trawling through the News.

Last edited by a moderator: 12th Jun, 2019
    wategos likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

That is a possibility. I will consider it.

Propagate likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm more than happy to see no more Trump threads. If no one has been swayed (either way) or educated in over two years of "debate" then there is nothing to be achieved.

If you must have them - can they please be behind a closed section so they don't leap up on any open topics line and require untruths be answered - or going around and around in circles with word twisting or ignoring of provable facts. Reading the links and replying is taking to much out of my day, but I cannot seem to let misinformation be unchallenged

wategos, Joynz, Propagate and 2 others like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

I have decided for now that I won't proceed with the suggested unmoderated section of the site.

My main concern being that allowing greater latitude there may make it more difficult to police the remainder of the site, and friction that inevitably develops may spill out into the other discussions.

I may reconsider at some point in the future, but for now I will be sticking with my ban on discussions about US politics and Trump as per my post here: Politics forum guidelines

FWIW, the feedback I've been getting seems very much to be very polarised - people either love the idea or hate it. I do get the point that it should be opt-in and thus those people who don't like it don't have to visit it - but my concern about the impact it may have on the remainder of the site are my primary reasons for deciding against it for now.

Marg4000, Lizzie, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Plus the reality that libel and defamation laws also apply to the internet. Several court cases under way in Queensland over comments on Facebook.

Sadly, “open slather” can quickly turn nasty.
    Marg

6. Simon Hampel

When discussing the idea with the moderation team, I went through an exercise of listing all of the "rules" and "guidelines" and identifying which would still apply (and be actively policed), which would not apply, and which would apply in principle, but not actively policed.

Turns out that there were not all that many rules that could reasonably be relaxed - mostly it was around things such as insisting on keeping on topic, not posting memes, etc.

I was a little surprised at just how many of the rules and guidelines we would still have to monitor or actively police - which did kind of defeat the purpose somewhat (the goal being less moderation work).

Lizzie and Marg4000 like this.