Unlucky heating issue

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dmb1978, 27th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

So, two weeks ago I get an email saying the reverse cycle aircon unit in the rumpus is blowing smoke and they had to call someone out to look at it. We don't even have an aircon unit in the rumpus so two weeks later of chasing them up I find out that the service person found nothing wrong with it but i have been charged with a call out fee. Then two days later I receive and email saying that the heater in the airbnb flat, the rumpus heater and that same reverse cycle aircon are all playing up and both need replacing and a service for the aircon.

After querying all this I find out that the original service person was directed to look at the aircon unit by mistake and not the smoking heater which is in a different room. I am not sure how this has happened and now I have to pay for another call out to have the original heater looked at as well as a service for the aircon unit that the service man said he couldn't find anything wrong with.

This does seem really unlucky and do I have to pay a call out charge for something that wasn't my fault - ie tenant showed them wrong appliance or property manager gave them wrong information as this was all done before I was even notified.

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Painful as it is, I generally insist on the tradie speaking to me when the arrive onsite.

dmb1978 likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The time to query would have been when you received an email about the air con in the rumpus room - when you know you don't have one.

Surely that rang alarm bells?
    Marg

4. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I did, it took two weeks and follow up emails to for them to reply. But when they sent the first email they had already had someone visit the property - too late then.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If they organise a tradeperson to attend, then it is at their own cost :p
    (unless proven to be an actual fault, which it wasn't because even the complainant/tenant on site with the actual complaint couldn't even show the attending service tech the right unit ! )
    "FIX IT NOW" !
    But we will take 10-12 days to reply to your questions .........

("Oh, but it's an essential service and the landlord should pay because I poured hot fat down the sink and it blocked" :mad: sort of thing)

So, they pay the first, and you are likely stuck with the second set of costs.
    At least they did notify before the place burnt down :rolleyes:

dmb1978 likes this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

couple of things....

Service requests should be in writing, a job order, so that seems an issue with PM and who attended

They should have called to find out what the issue was, or been able to sort with tenant.

dmb1978 likes this.