University degrees.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by private_number, 24th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

1. Bob Anderson course (some ppl bag it but they are no-action, losers to begin with).
    2. Make friends with other developers to share insights, contacts etc
    3. Start on a small project or JV with someone.

Degrees are good an all but totally unnecessary when it comes to developing imo.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I love this response . I like what you've written, but I especially just really appreciate the *Fade fade fade...* :D

3. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

You missed my point again. I'm not discussing the relevance of a degree in the real world. I'm questioning the logic behind quitting a degree because of a comment someone said. If there were other reasons why you quit, then that's a different story and say it. But you haven't said that. You've only said you walked out because your lecturer didn't go to a site in 20 years.

Joynz likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Years ago I started a teaching degree at Curtin university. I liked the classes and I got good marks, did pracs, liked them and got good marks. In the second semester we had a bunch of teachers who could not teach and had no ability to control a classroom. I figured if they didn't know how to teach or how to control a classroom then they would not be able to teach those essential skills to me. I walked out, unenrolled and did not go back.

I went and talked to some lecturers from Commerce/I.T. These were people working in the industry at the time and lecturing after work. I enrolled in that course because the people who taught me had relevant and current work experience. It makes a huge difference. I have not learned a lot from academics. I have learned a lot from people who are working in the field at the time they are teaching.

5. Phantom

I understand that point of view. Had you been in your last semester of a masters degree, do you think you would have walked out and unenrolled for that same reason quite as easily?

6. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

If you're 330 episodes into a 350 episode tv show that occurs to you as adding no value, do you keep watching?

What about dating a person who isn't right, it's been 2 years, do you keep going?

You're in a job with relatively low pay and seems like a dead end. Do you keep working there?

How about an investment property that is negative geared with no capital growth perspectives, keep holding on?

Some would agree with the first yet grapple as it moves up the perceived scale.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
    Perthguy likes this.
  7. Phantom

Did the 330 episodes cost me $45k?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

hang on - did you watch any episodes?

If you have bought the dvd of game of thrones and one person told you it was crap, before you had started watching it, would you take the DVDs back?

Joynz likes this.
  9. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

This is fun...

Only cost $37k, didn't watch the last 20 episodes.

10. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Unfortunately 555 other people told me it was amazing. Curiousity got the better of me.

11. Phantom

Would you do a PhD and spend 3 years researching & writing a 100,000 word thesis, finish it & then not hand it in because the night before it was due, you realised there was no more value for you in it?

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Considering I left because of the lack of skills of the teachers, it's something that is easy to pick up in first year. I would not make it to the last semester of a degree and walk out for that reason.

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have never watched any of Game of Thrones. Is it worth it?

14. Phantom

Ah...bingo!

15. Perthguy

I walked out after season 1.

Don't ask me though. I would have to check but I'm pretty sure I have quit 5 university degrees and a masters

16. Phantom

So what you're saying is, you realised you made a mistake and that the course wasn't for you anymore. So you unenrolled. Right?

17. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

If there's no more value in it...

What are you getting out of handing it in?

Will it help you mentally validate the last 3 years of your life?

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2018
  18. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hell yes.
    I invest in real estate as a way to make the time between seasons go faster.

*disclaimer* just like the perceived value of university degrees, my opinion is subjective.

19. Phantom

What you get is a PhD. Prestige, peer respect, pride, self satisfaction, confidence and something to show for the last 3 years of sacrifice.
    How can you know if it will be validating if you just walk away.

20. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Okay. I'm meeting the love of my life for some hot coco, so to answer your question...

It's irrelevant why I did it.
    Do I regret it? No i do not.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.