Units without lift?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by ATANG, 17th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MattA

MattA Well-Known Member

Honestly couldn't answer that question with any certainty... there is just too many variables.

Eg. It may rent for more than the unit block down the road but is that because of the lift or because the paint and carpet was refurbished a couple years ago.

One thing I will say is it's a constant issue at exec meetings. Seems like about once a quarter somebody knocks the doors off the rollers and the BC either picks up the bill (normally including a weekend call out fee) or if we are lucky we can identify the person who caused the issue and then have to go down the pathway of trying to pass the charges on.

Big Will likes this.
  2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

@MattA thanks for the info!

3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I live in a 3 storey walk-up with no lift, on the top floor. My garage is on the lower level of 2 stories of the underground so from car to door is actually 4 flights of stairs (only real downside). Hauling cricket gear all the way up is the only bugbear I have.

Strata fees are low, and I hope they stay low.

There's a young couple with 2 toddlers on the floor who struggle with groceries and prams, and the kids when they throw a tantrum because they don't want to walk up it. So the climb doesn't suit them but for everyone else it's fine enough.

4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Atang, unless there are some special needs for yourself or your tenants there's no reason why (from many years experience...) walking up 3 flights of stairs is any issue at all.

Of course, if your block doesn't have stairs, and you have to regularly shimmy up a rope with a slab tied to your back, one would assume that this would be both not conducive to happiness nor an astute purchase decision (in hindsight)...

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm a big fan of no lift buildings but like the others I wouldn't go above 3 storey. 3 is a magical number for not being the worlds biggest pain in the ****. Everyone can climb 2 storeys and it's only 1 more. But it's 4 then it's like double the stairs.
    Like you I like the art deco, federation walk up buildings. They are more unique and have more character