NSW Units forecast to go down in Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hash_investor, 3rd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Nah... I reckon units will do better than houses in Sydney in 2016 because units are relatively affordable... but houses arent.

3. LCK

LCK Active Member

1 percent growth I would be happy with.. Someone mentioned here that units in mount druitt would crash to $250k.. (Currently around $330k). That sure makes gave me a startle :)

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For those that dont remember or those who havent seen a cycle here is what may occur:

1. OTP and construction projects underway (see all those sites being build when you out on road??) will come to completion between now and September. Oversupply v's demand.
    2. Buyers will be spoiled for choice and take their time to negotiate. Some sellers will be firm and others desperate. REAs will now earn their money rather than have it thrown at them.
    3. Prices will shift down. Initially flat it will increase to become a slide down. Not a landslide just a tip of the scales. Varies by agency and project initially but eventually agents and buyers all work it out. $20K price falls become $35K and so on.
    4. Desperado's with no scope for finance will bail wanting to protect losses or take minimal profits. REAs call these motivated vendors I believe.
    5. Banks will instruct valuers to go conservative
    6. Banks will embargo projects, post codes and project types (ie studios) in some areas of mass supply. ie either no lend or impose a max LVR say 50% (example)
    7. Rents can follow depending on supply factors. I would tip rents down, not up BUT its not guaranteed.

Units in Sydney are likely to be harder hit as this is the FH buyer and stamp duty concession belt that has motivated demand.

Some vendors will just pull sales and rent them out. This could trigger a GST problem for them if they have claimed the GST on the build !

Every area will be affected differently. Some areas will remain in demand. Some may be down minimal and others will get smacked. Opportunity for buyers. Opportunity too for sellers remain....Quality may overprice it or may assist to sell.

Bentley, DaveM, Pins and 2 others like this.
  5. Kashmir

Kashmir Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on it. Buyers could be spooked with all the negative press on OTPs and shoddy apartment builds..

6. Gockie

Its going to be interesting! Short term though, next 6-8 months, I still think most units in Sydney will perform.

7. JimmySyd

JimmySyd Member

If there is going to be a correction in units, any thoughts are how long it would take for prices to moderate, and then outlook from there for the next 3-5 yrs?

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Ask twenty economists and they will all guess differently.

9. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

You are harsh with the word "guess".
    Common these guys have degrees and phd and mba coming out of you know what, and years of track records with their fearless predictions

10. Gockie

You forgot to add this :rolleyes: