Unit trust and FHOG

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Muhammad Ali, 14th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali New Member

Hi, i have a hypothetical question; if I am one of the beneficiaries of a Unit Trust, which owns a house rented to another unit trust (of which i am the benefit as well... I will use it as my PPOR under the second trust) will I be eligible for FHOG (provided i fulfill all other requirements).

My problem is that i have moved to Tasmania for job purposes and i might move back to mainland in a year or two. My intention is to buy a property here (my first) and live in it and when i move back to the mainland, i want to be still eligible for FHOG.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Under nsw law you would likely be eligible if you meet the other requirements.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If the unit trust has human trustees and one of them is you then you may have issues. Otherwise its fine where a corporate trustee is used at all times. The use of a trust to protect first owner concessions for duty and grants has long been a mechanism to preserve the personal benefit until later.

My problem is that i have moved to Tasmania for job purposes and i might move back to mainland in a year or two. My intention is to buy a property here (my first) and live in it and when i move back to the mainland, i want to be still eligible for FHOG. - That fails on all levels as you will have owned AND resided in a property you own in Australia.

4. Terry_w

See the definition of 'relevant interest' in the FHOG Grant Act. s5

5. Paul@PAS

Yes it can be a devil when you taint the process using your name when you shouldnt. 5(g) particularly can be harder than most realise. The Commissioner can form a view you cant shake. The Commissioner can apply this view to a spouse too of course.

6. Terry_w

Do you mean s 5(2)(g)?
    It would be very unlikely this would apply - this is the situations similar to a property with company title.

7. Paul@PAS

The Commissioner says prove me wrong re exclusive occupancy. A lease with another party is sufficient ie a true IP. But related parties....no.

I also once saw someone who thought it was clever to have a DT as unitholder to mask ownership....And a land tax bill...Probably a surcharge too now :-(

8. Terry_w

highly unlikely.

9. Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali New Member

if it is reasonable to ask, how would you guys recommend?

@Paul@PFI and @Terry_w

10. Terry_w

Only lawyers can advise on the FHOG so go and seek some legal advice, probably best to decide which states you might be buying in first as this is state legislation.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  11. Paul@PAS

And remember states look at any property acquired in another state.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia