VIC unit in eastern Melbourne suburbs 650k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Joeyng, 23rd Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Hi guys,

I am looking for to buy a first home with 2 or 3 bedrooms in the eastern Melbourne suburbs. My budget is up to 650000$. I am thinking of Vermont, Mitcham...do you guys have any though about this? Thank you so much

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Try to stay close to a station or smartbus route - will grow in value better.

So Mitcham in pref to Vermont IMHO.

Try and get a 3BR if you can.

The Y-man

Toby and Joeyng like this.
  3. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Thank you for your input. I am trying to buy a 3bedrooms if that s possible. The house price in eastern suburbs is increasing crazily. Do you have any other suburbs in mind, that you think may fit my budget?

4. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Along the Lilydale / Belgrave train line in a good school zone

Joeyng likes this.
  5. The Y-man

If you are going to live there, no one can really tell you where you should live.

We all have very different tastes and needs.

The Y-man

6. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Yes I know. I mean with my budget, do you have any suburbs can recommend? Any suburbs that is nice in general

7. Joeyng

Joeyng Member

Thank you for your input. Along this line is so expensive, so that is why I think I just may settle with 2 bedrooms first

8. The Y-man

9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I live in Mitcham. With a budget of $650k you probably won't find a block of land, let alone a house. In the last decade there has been quite a few town houses built, but these are relatively new properties and also well in excess of the stated budget.

A very quick search on realestate.com.au reveals plenty of 2 bedroom apartments for under $500k in Mitcham and even the occasional 2br villa unit (but they're probably going to go for just over $650k).

There doesn't appear to be many 3 bedroom apartments in the area, but they do exist and are within the budget. The area isn't really traditionally where people look for an apartment though, so that style of property is very limited (and not really in demand).

This search was very quick and easy. It tells me that if you are willing to go for an apartment or villa unit, you can probably find it in a suburb along the train line. Just get online and start searching.

If you're looking for a standalone house on a block of land, you're probably already priced out of the East along the train lines.

Joeyng likes this.
  10. The Y-man

11. The Y-man

These 2 are on a *major* road AND they are going to auction (so God knows where the price will end up).

9/19-21 Mitcham Road Donvale Vic 3111 - Unit for Sale #126439266 - realestate.com.au
    4/13-15 Mitcham Road Donvale Vic 3111 - House for Sale #126282746 - realestate.com.au

Having said that this section of mitcham road is not that bad for traffic - most heavy truck coming off the eastern will go straight north up Springvale. As long as they are not the "front" units, you should be fine for noise (obviously go and find out).

The 907 smart bus stops out front goes to the city via the freeway. You are easy walk to Tunstall square shops. There is a big reserve across the road.

And it's in a fantastic suburb :p

The Y-man

Joeyng likes this.
  12. saray4

saray4 Well-Known Member

Sorry for disappointing you but I don't think you can get a 3 bedroom units or townhouses in Mitcham and Vermont.
    I have been to many auctions in Mitcham and vermont until start of this year and the last 2 bedroom unit I saw was sold for 710k in Mitcham. I stopped looking in Mitcham and Vermont after that.

Joeyng likes this.
  13. erorxxx

erorxxx Well-Known Member

If you really want 3 beds on big block 650k still possible in upwey, tecoma and belgrave :) these areas have reasonable price for eastern suburbs .

For 3 beds townhouses : croydon,croydon north, chirnside park,boronia, ferntree gully and bayswater are still possible

My two cents opinion :why buy a townhouse when you can buy a house 5-10km further with the same price.

Joeyng likes this.
  14. The Y-man

...the only issue being most are on a 80 degree cliff face :p

The Y-man

Westie likes this.
  15. The Y-man

16. 12195

12195 Member

Donvale is good but i believe Doncaster is better.. you can try and have a look at Nest which is right front of Westfield on Doncaster rd.. me and my wife bought one for 619k.. it will be settled on August 2018

17. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

are those units as in townhouses. or apartments?

I presume they are apartments as landed units would cost more than that. Even townhouses in reservoir are going for 700-800K

Nest – Nest at the hill

u got a good spot mainly due to the location on the hill and westfield but they're oversuppled atm for apartments at the Doncaster hill. many don't rent out as easily.

18. 12195

12195 Member

They are luxury apartments.. yea the townhouses are pretty expensive in there.. apartments are not over supplied in Doncaster in fact another 5projects are coming up including The point and Tullamore and peace of Doncater all because too much demand.. a Developer who invested over $350 million knows the market good enough although Nest has sold 82% in less than two weeks i still get clients that ask me to go negociate on their behalf to buy! Over supplied?! Go and have a look at the place mate

Thanks

19. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

not sure how you deem that as luxury apartments. For me it is just a standard apartment - standard lap pool no sauna or spa or steam room?, gym, sizes. in far a below average design apartment. with the saddle hook design which is banned out in new developments in the design standards (so you will get average price for these) - 70+Sqm to be honest internally should be 90sqm and above for 2 bedrooms in places like Doncaster where there sites are still cheaper compared to the likes of south yarra, Richmond, port melbourne Luxury is like freshwater place - where there is lap pool steam, sauna on the 40th floor or like the units off kew in Alphington where they are giving a tesla battery for renewal energy, or ones with private cinemas, or

upload_2017-9-27_16-15-12.png

The only good thing is townhouses starting from 900kish is not bad coz but I would give the apartments a miss.

I have gone to the place - I have lived in Doncaster, bought in Doncaster, develop, sold in Doncaster. My friends have close to 40 townhouse dev projects in the pipeline in the area. So it is not like I am a rook going into St Albans learning the streets and places. Apartments are oversupplied - I know of individuals (some relos) who can't even get it rented for what they wanted on Doncaster hill - and on the market. And you said it yourself - more coming on to the market. The main and only attraction is the Westfield which is chinese (mainland or non-mainland) which is basically just shopping .Doncaster hill isn't even in the Doncaster East Secondary School zone unlike if you buy an apartment in Balwyn school zones. There is also no train and you gotto head down to box hill so unlike apartments in CBD or fringes many who buy can take the free tram or walk closer to work. If you are talking box hill apartment that's a diff story.

upload_2017-9-27_16-20-6.png

There are apartment towers in southbank sold out at 90% as well but that doesn't make it a good investment. Are you saying the apartments will be 800-1mil in a few years time. All those who bought would be minimal gains with hard time rentals. Of course the developer invests but who really have made gains from OTP apartements seriously in Melbourne?

the OP better off buying this than an apartment in Doncaster hill.

upload_2017-9-27_16-22-10.png

Attached Files:

20. 12195

12195 Member

You need more experience!