Unit bathroom water leak - Strata or owner responsibility?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Zoolander, 14th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to get general advice from those who've had experience with bathroom repairs and/or work in strata. Location is Sydney NSW.

The scenario: Water pipes are leaking under the flooring of an apartment, and have started to erode floorboards in other rooms. Initially we suspected shower stall waterproofing to be the cause however this has been fixed, so the issue looks to be plumbing under the bathroom.
    The strata is insisting the issue and future repair costs sit with the owner, it's not part of their remit.

I'm not that across about what's deemed to be the lot owner's responsibiltiy and what is strata's.
    Found this NSW fair trading link which touches on it but doesn't go into detail about bathrooms.
    Repairs_and_maintenance

The current situation is that our waterproofer and the strata-aligned plumber are meeting to work out who should be paying for the repair.

Any tips, similiar experiences or ways to proceed would be phenomenal. Ideal outcome is for the repairs to be funded by strata. It seems like a big job having to punch a hole in the bathroom and disrupt the tenant there.

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Zoolander

I think your focus is a bit wrong.

If it's anything like Victoria, asking the "strata" to fix things is "getting all owners to chip in" for the repair. Now there are cases this is definitely clean cut fair - like a major building issue that will bring the whole block down.

In your case, I suggest it is trying to convince the building insurer (who is usually organised through the strata managers) that this damage falls inside their scope of cover.

The Y-man

3. Zoolander

Thanks Y man. I havent thought of that approach - will ask. Strata should be happy to help if it means the attention is deflected to another party.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How old is the building ?
    Am assuming it is outside of warranty period !
    That being the case, chase Strata insurance (as per Y-MAN)

5. Zoolander

The building is pretty old- 30 years or so. Would this impact what strata insurance can do?

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused is your leaky bathroom causing issues to another unit or simply your own?

7. Zoolander

My own. The problem is the pipes under the bathroom are leaking and the water is affecting floorboards elsewhere in my unit

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I would have though the pipes are strata's issue.

So have all parties agreed at least its a leaky pipe that is at fault here? Or is strata's plumber still pointing at something else?

9. Zoolander

Not yet- strata seen to be reluctant to admit anything hence Im asking here if theres any ways to push for this.

10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

You need to read up on the legislation but if common property at issue is original they are likely to be a strata responsibility. If it has been renovated by the owner then it is an owner responsibility. Hard to discern this with plumbing. Join your strata commitee.

Zoolander likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia