VIC Unit/apartment Mentone

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TMNT, 6th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Yes "TMNT", I agree with your analysis of Mentone at the moment. It is a bit of a hole.. Capital Gains wise I see massive increases due soon for the bottom end of the market, especially if you can secure a bargain on the beach side of the Nepean Highway. Mentone also recorded a $3.3 million property sale in 2017 and this residential house was not on Beach Road and just underwent a full renovation after it achieved that price.

Mentone is ready for prime growth. I am keeping a very strong focus on the area and looking to purchase any old apartment that is on the ground floor, has a private courtyard and at least 1 car space. They do pop up and sell rather quickly and sometimes before they are listed on the internet. Some cheap old apartments are way under $300,000 and are on the beach side of the highway as well.

Regards,

alicudi

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

hmmm great minds think alike :)
    part of me thinks its better to get a house with land and pay the extra over a older unit......

edit: geez, cheapest free stadning home is a 2bdr
    $850,000 - $920,000

jeez

3. alicudi

Hi

100% agreed with this statement as well, buying a house on its own land in Mentone is the go for the largest capitial growth. My motivation to buy in Mentone is to have a small base to sleep in when I come to Melbourne as I am relocating to Phillip Island so a low maintenance secure apartment suits my requirements and budget as I am attempting to buy without finance.

Nobody ever told me that my mind was great though.

Regards,

alicudi

4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

and my next question is, should any buyer looking at this area wait, seems were at the peak,
    were not really seeing a slow down in the area, but it should come soon :)
    my 2c

5. alicudi

Hi

I think for any quality residential home on its own land should be safe to buy now in Mentone, f you are putting most of the $$$'s into the land value and location of the street and location of the property within the street it should be safe for a long term hold.

I think that old apartments/units were at the bottom of the cycle last year when several had asking prices of $240,000 (not studio apartments either). The top end of town as in $1.8m to $3m+ I don' feel confident to comment on sorry as I don't really do any research in that price bracket.

Regards,

alicudi

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yes agree with you, long term it will do well, whether its 2-3 yrs or 5-6 or 10+

I feel that could easily get a few % off if you wait a 1-6 months, but any more would be a guess
    however cycle wise melb is at its peak...

Last edited: 1st Mar, 2018
  7. alicudi

Ok

So great minds do think alike, or we are the dumbest members on propertychat?

Regards,

alicudi

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I wouldnt go aroudn telling people you think same way as TMNT!!!
    you'll lose repsect
    heads up from moi

alicudi likes this.