Unexpected Site Costs

Discussion in 'Development' started by Damon, 22nd Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Hi All,

My partner and I are building with Henley Homes. We expected around 40k site costs but were shocked to see 65k, with a 35k cost being for

Due to insufficient gradient from furthest point of stormwater drainage to assumed legal point of discharge, an alternative discharge method may be required.

This may include additional costs to provide a Hydraulic Engineer designed stormwater discharge system in order to conform to AS/NZS 3500:2003.

Note: - Cost to be confirmed on receipt of Engineer's Final Hydraulic design. Any resulting changes and costs will be advised to the Owner/s by variation.

At tender we were told this was due to our block being dead flat.

Has anyone ever received this charge and what did it end up costing. It's probably going to be the nail in the coffin of our build if it stands.

2. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Yes, I did some geotech / hydro investigation and found that it wasn't required. Don't stress - yet.

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

1. apply to the Council for your legal point of discharge
    2. talk to Council's engineering dept and ask if they have any info on stormwater drainage issues in the area/on the site
    3. take that, and site levels if you have them to an engineer
    4. pay for a consultation and see if the claim is likely to be correct

4. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Would the legal point of discharge be in the section 32? Surely there is a drainage pipe in the rear easement?

As part of the tender they have a fee for an engineer consultation so they will do all of this won’t they?

5. Ithilien

Ithilien Active Member

Are there kerb & gutters out on the streets already? If so, do you see any stormwater outlet drilled into the kerbs from your neighbours?

If not, the cost for the stormwater/hydraulic engineer may be the least of your worry. And that $35k do seem quite high

6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

s32 does not (usually) contain point of discharge information. Assumptions can be made about where is might be, but always good to check with the Council, just in case (and yes, it's usually to kerb and channel at the street, but not always)

7. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

It's an established area from the 60s so there are kerb and gutters. There are no kerb outlets. No drainage in the rear. Tender says legal point of discharge is kerb and channel.

What do you mean cost for engineer least of my worry? Im guessing we will need to pump the water back up to the kerb and channel. My mate built around the corner and had to do the same thing, cant tell me the cost though.

Do you think 35k is over the top quote?

8. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

I found in the tender it says kerb and channel. There is no drainage in the rear.
    Block is virtually flat so water will have to be pumped back up.
    No kerb outlets, just drains either end of the street.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Would it be cheaper to raise the house a bit?

Stoffo likes this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Or have the PVC pipes that the downpipe's connect to 6" higher than the discharge point

11. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Its a volume builder so I dont have much to say in it, but wouldnt the engineer suggest this if it was?

12. Damon

Damon Well-Known Member

Its a volume builder so I dont have much to say in it, but wouldnt the engineer suggest this if it was?

13. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

sounds like you need an hydraulic engineered solution

can you get fall thru the neighbouring rear/side properties. if so this will require a drainage easement

or if approved by council
    dispersion trench ???
    charged system ???
    OSD or rainwater re-use tanks

14. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

i don't understand if the block is flat why cant they do a charged stormwater system?

etc the height of the gutters is above the road kerb outlet height so gravity will push the water out..

Stoffo likes this.