Undisclosed pet at rental property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Justin_Z, 15th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

Quick question- during the latest routine inspection it was noted that the tenant has brought in a guinea pig and an extra cat, without notifying or applying o_O. The original rental agreement was for a dog + cat only.

Couple of options-

1. PM said I can issue them a breach (not sure what the consequences of that is?)
    2. Get them to apply for the new pets (and then I probably have to approve since they're already there) and caution them against future breaches.

The tenants have been paying rent on time and besides a few maintenance requests no other issues. I'm leaning towards option 2, what's your opinion?

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

If you and your PM are happy with the tenants then go for option 2 but ensure that no further animals will be permitted in writing.

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

If no damage is done why sabotage the lease and your cashflow?

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm with Xenia on this. How much damage can an extra cat and guinea pig cause?

Edit: Maybe add a condition that if the guinea pig destroys the grass they they will pay to turf any missing bits on leaving.

Savannah2 and Xenia like this.
  5. Justin_Z

Justin_Z Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's not so much the lack of current damage, but wouldn't doing nothing be passively allowing the tenant to do more things without my knowledge? There's nothing to suggest that they will, but then again they've only been a tenant for 6 months, I'd rather nip things early then let it snowball.

Chilliblue likes this.
  6. E.T

E.T Active Member

Actually there is nothing you can do, it will be very difficult to evict, you can send all the breach notices you like but if the tenants want to start up a zoo party and your not invited... Tough titties landlord!

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

One of my tenants asked if they could have a guinea pig.

Fantastic! I'm all for it and the existing lease allows for us to require them to fumigate when they leave.

A tenant wanting pets means they're making themselves at home and intend to be there for the long haul. They're a more stable tenant. They'll find it harder to move to another property with pets, so they'll stay longer, probably take better care of the property and will be more willing to accept rental increases.

The biggest risk with a guinea is probably fleas, which can be dealt with at the tenants expense when they do leave.

The same tenant asked if they could have a small dog a few months later. Again it's not a problem. The property is well suited to a dog and this makes them really stable and happy tenants.

I'd let the tenants know that the guinea pig is okay, but request that they do you the courtesy of getting your consent before getting any more pets.

Savannah2, 733, Propertunity and 2 others like this.
  8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Option two.

A guinea pig and cat aren't going to cause a whole lot of issues to a property - certainly no more than kids!

However - the issue needs to be addressed so they don't take it for granted.

Cheers

Jamie

Justin_Z and Propertunity like this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Option 3: