Health & Family Underweight People

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Phantom, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Probably depends where you go.. But while I did see overweight people over there in the west coast, I found it probably less than most places in Australia. That is only anecdotally though.

What is concerning is that the rate of change in Australia is much higher, meaning that if we are not already, we soon will be #1.

Australian obesity rates 'climbing fastest in the world'

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/obesity-comes-to-australia/?_r=0

From stats 8 years ago we were number 3, behind by not too far ... so it would not be surprisingly if we have gone to number 1 by now.

Obesity in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Travelbug likes this.
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

These graphs are the results of 2.88 million people.

I'm pretty sure the gray areas represent confidence intervals (ie 95% of the people lie within this range) This is why the grey area gets larger as the BMI increases - there are simply fewer and fewer people, thus allowing an increased spread. Another way of putting it is that there is a 95% chance that the TRUE line lies within the grey area (thus the super high BMI curve decrease might just be erroneous due to the smaller population numbers who have a super high BMI).

The risk are the weight categories are all cause mortality compared to normal people.

The numbers suggest an ASSOCIATION with obesity and mortality, not a cause. It might be, for example, that all/most of the obese people smoke, for example.

It is not age adjusted, as far as I know. It's a simple ratio

JAMA. 2013 Jan 2;309(1):71-82. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.113905.
    Association of all-cause mortality with overweight and obesity using standard body mass index categories: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
    Flegal KM1, Kit BK, Orpana H, Graubard BI.
    Author information
    Abstract

IMPORTANCE:
    Estimates of the relative mortality risks associated with normal weight, overweight, and obesity may help to inform decision making in the clinical setting.

OBJECTIVE:
    To perform a systematic review of reported hazard ratios (HRs) of all-cause mortality for overweight and obesity relative to normal weight in the general population.

DATA SOURCES:
    PubMed and EMBASE electronic databases were searched through September 30, 2012, without language restrictions.

STUDY SELECTION:
    Articles that reported HRs for all-cause mortality using standard body mass index (BMI) categories from prospective studies of general populations of adults were selected by consensus among multiple reviewers. Studies were excluded that used nonstandard categories or that were limited to adolescents or to those with specific medical conditions or to those undergoing specific procedures. PubMed searches yielded 7034 articles, of which 141 (2.0%) were eligible. An EMBASE search yielded 2 additional articles. After eliminating overlap, 97 studies were retained for analysis, providing a combined sample size of more than 2.88 million individuals and more than 270,000 deaths.

DATA EXTRACTION:
    Data were extracted by 1 reviewer and then reviewed by 3 independent reviewers. We selected the most complex model available for the full sample and used a variety of sensitivity analyses to address issues of possible overadjustment (adjusted for factors in causal pathway) or underadjustment (not adjusted for at least age, sex, and smoking).

RESULTS:
    Random-effects summary all-cause mortality HRs for overweight (BMI of 25-<30), obesity (BMI of ≥30), grade 1 obesity (BMI of 30-<35), and grades 2 and 3 obesity (BMI of ≥35) were calculated relative to normal weight (BMI of 18.5-<25). The summary HRs were 0.94 (95% CI, 0.91-0.96) for overweight, 1.18 (95% CI, 1.12-1.25) for obesity (all grades combined), 0.95 (95% CI, 0.88-1.01) for grade 1 obesity, and 1.29 (95% CI, 1.18-1.41) for grades 2 and 3 obesity. These findings persisted when limited to studies with measured weight and height that were considered to be adequately adjusted. The HRs tended to be higher when weight and height were self-reported rather than measured.

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE:
    Relative to normal weight, both obesity (all grades) and grades 2 and 3 obesity were associated with significantly higher all-cause mortality. Grade 1 obesity overall was not associated with higher mortality, and overweight was associated with significantly lower all-cause mortality. The use of predefined standard BMI groupings can facilitate between-study comparisons.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I think the percentages are roughly the same - about 60% of adults are overweight/obese?

4. Bayview

My observation is that the level of obesity seems to be closely linked to the demographic - lower-socio-economic; more obesity...same in the USA.

Whitecat and Travelbug like this.
  5. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

What scares me is the number of overweight kids. You just see them getting fatter each year. These overweight kids become fat teenagers and obese adults.
    I agree that something needs to be done. And please don't say teach it at school. It needs to be taught and followed in the home to be effective.
    A Kindy kid came to school this year with a block (not a bar, a BLOCK) of chocolate, a can of coke and a sandwich. The teacher spoke to the parents and they cut out the coke and bought a smaller bar of chocolate EVERY DAY.
    I did quite a few lessons on nutrition and "sometimes food". The kids were very excited when they went to recess and some found "low in fat" and "no sugar added" on their yoghurts. It's easy to get 5 years old's excited though.

WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  6. Spanna

Spanna Well-Known Member

I feel like Diet and exercise is becoming one of those taboo dinner table topics like politics and religion, everyone has on opinion, most fairly uneducated, with no real right or wrong.

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

We have. We are Number 1.

Edit: Actually, I just tried to verify this and cannot. Different sources claim different things. Nevertheless, we are collectively too fat. I've read claims that our children will be the first generation with a shorter life expectancy that the parents.

8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It was Nauru but it seems to be Mexico now.

Nauru No longer The Most Obese Country In The World – VIDEO | Oceania Television Network

But I think it makes a difference if you count overweight and obesity as opposed to just obesity.

In any case, Australians are way too fat and need to trim down. Of course making this happen is another story entirely.

Bran likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

From what I have seen there are a lot of right answers and a lot of wrong ones.

10. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

They can to a degree. Fat on hips ass thighs is not as pathological as in gut area

Bran likes this.
  11. Bayview

What is there that's uneducated about an opinion on over 60% of Aus adults now in the overweight/obese range?

It is glaringly obvious; you don't need to be a genius to work it out.

What is wrong with making that observation, and then - like many folks here and outside of here believe - that it is mostly due to lifestyle and diet?

Our basic body make-up has not changed since the early to mid part of last Century so much that we can go from a Nation of relatively fit, healthy and slim people; to a nation of mostly fat ones.

It is simply diet and lifestyle; and that's it.

Harsh truth for some.

moyjos likes this.
  12. turk

turk Well-Known Member

Well this Underweight People thread quickly morphed into a Overweight People threado_O

Tim86 and Phantom like this.
  13. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Refrigerated handbag ?

14. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

At the buffet I went to last week there was actually a sign saying it is theft to take the food outside the dining room and that the police will be called.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Even allowing doggy bags is becoming rarer. There is a danger that food will not be stored properly.

We had a guy tell us that he became sick from eating a sub we had made. It turned out that he had eaten half and left it at room temperature for two days before eating the second half.

Tim86 likes this.
  16. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's one highly effective way to temporarily lose weight....o_O

Stu likes this.
  17. geoffw

Friends of ours went to a Brazilian restaurant in Canberra. They all got really sick, with several days in hospital.

The restaurant didn't survive that. My friends not only lost weight, the received a confidential settlement from the restaurant (presumably through insurance). They bought a 4WD very shortly after that.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Gives a new meaning too the word,"Brazilian"..

19. geoffw

I guess they had a bit of a close shave.

Phantom likes this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Local Indian barber money transfer mobile phone seller has a sign up ,$5.00 per side good price for a haircut if your bald on top..