Health & Family Underweight People

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Phantom, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have a simple measurement.
    Do you feel good?
    Do you do what you want?

Does your weight stop you from doing something you want to do.
    No - you are healthy
    Yes - change it.

I'm such a simple person.

But yes bmi is also one measurement to be considered.

Whitecat, Travelbug, freyja and 3 others like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Wonderful philosophy.

Xenia likes this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Thanks man.
    That's me in bulking mode.
    All you gotta do to cut weight hard is just stop all carb intake after 6pm and the fat melts away ;)

D.T. and 158 like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think I was 48 kgs before I had any babies and I know that when I went into hospital I weighed 56 which included a 3 kg bub and 3 kgs of yuckie stuff that comes out too. Three weeks later I weighed 48 kgs again and dragged myself around in the same clothes I wore pre-pregnancy.

I was regularly confronted by large ladies suggesting there was something wrong with me and would I please gain some weight. Three years later I had another bub but a few months after he was born, I weighed 42 kgs and I was eating everything in sight and vomiting it back up. I lost more weight and the Doc wanted to put me in hospital. I was very sick and it turns out I had a virus in my thyroid. Since going on the happy pills I've jumped up to 56 kgs and got to 60 a couple of years ago - which felt like obesity to me.

I quickly dropped back to 56kgs and I've been lifting weights for nearly two months now. My weight is the same but I look and feel much better. At 5'1" I'm short and dumpy and I think I look great :p

5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I struggle to gain weight, but do over 10hrs a week intense exercise. To be honest I also find it hard not too see overweight people as simply being lazy. It would only take 15-30mins of light exercise a day, and not eating crap to avoid it. Sadly with the amount of overweight people I see here in Australia (worse than the U.S. and hence the world) they cannot manage discipline. It's a concern with the well-being of the entire country.

I don't think there is such a thing as "too skinny" unless it leads to illness. It's much better than being fat and a much reduced lifespan. Never mind the extra cost.

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Being underweight IS unhealthy (i.e. BMI < 18.5). As you can see, about 25 is probably the healthiest.

Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 9.17.20 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 9.17.11 pm.png

Perthguy, Phantom and WattleIdo like this.
  7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The person who is the odd one out in the crowd.

40 years ago, it was the other way around.

Whitecat, Doncossack and turk like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i
    Bran
    you are Messing with me now.
    I won't mention BMI...oops

Bran likes this.
  9. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Why would you need to do 10 hours a week... Good on you for doing it... I guess you have the time., a lot of us dont.
    People get fat through various reasons, eg shiftworkers

10. Bayview

Um, last night I got home from work later than expected (almost 6.00pm), then had a large bowl of spaghetti with parmesan cheese on top, two glasses of Chardy, and then 2/3 of a family block of Cadbury's choc (the two little kids had the rest), then later a bowl of Weetbix (5 of them) with full cream milk for a supper in front of the teev..:eek::eek: :p

I think I'll ride the bike to work today and then a jog session comin' up tomorrow morning.

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2015
    Ted Varrick, Doncossack and moyjos like this.
  11. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Thanks for those graphs Bran. It seems it goes both ways....having a BMI closer to 25 significantly reduced mortality risk. As you wander either up or down, your risk increases. This summarizes what I always thought. Extreme weights either way increase health risk.

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Thanks Bran
    What is the grey shaded area?
    What are the mortality measurements.
    There are smaller increments for women than men.
    Why does it look like it reaches a platue for women at end but keeps going up for men.

Obviously women can hold more fat safer.
    Just trying to understand the graphs.

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think there's few underweight people here in Oz - when I went to the countryside in Southern China in 2007 to me it looked like underweight people without a trace of fat were absolutely everywhere.

I noticed that few people had cars and most people got about on their feet or bicycle.

Anyway working in Parramatta I tend to think there's more overweight people out and about than usual.

Me - female BMI of 22 :)
    Height 167cm. I used to always weigh ~58kg up until maybe 4 years ago, discovered cruising and also tried to put on muscle mass so i'm about 62kg right now, very steady weight and it doesnt change. I'm one of few adult females I know who can do chin ups (and the spilts for good measure) :).
    One thing I noticed about putting on muscle mass - its fine for cooler winter temperatures but crap for hot summer weather...

Grandma says I don't look skinny anymore. Considering she is from the Chinese countryside... that's a complement.

I'm currently in my later 30's, did the body scale tester thing about 3 years ago and the machine spat out a reading telling me I have a metabolic age of 21.... so proud of that!

Still, I have yet to figure out what is ideal for my own food intake. I suppose keep up the protein, consume less simple sugars (goes straight into your blood), no MSG but keep up the fruits and vegies.

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2015
  14. Gockie

I reckon it goes something like this (I could be wrong... its a stab at understanding on my end): I think the grey is the standard deviation/statistical error tolerance

* I think the Mortality measurements are some sort of comparison to the median/mean of that gender. So you are at less risk than normal of dying with a BMI in the healthy range whereas if you are outside the scale then your risk could be elevated to double the normal risk. Question for Bran... does "all cause" include/exclude old age? I'm guessing exclude?

* Xenia, I too thought the female section at the end where the shape of the graph loops up then comes down was interesting - I don't know why having an extreme BMI might be better than a high BMI in some women and i'm curious to understand too.

Xenia likes this.
  15. Bayview

One of my bizarre observations ( and I have many o_O:oops:).....almost every time I see the nightly commercial station "news" on the teev, and they cross to some story of whatever, somewhere around Aus, featuring yer average folks in the street who are either spectators in the background, or passersby, or the people in the story itself; the volume of those folks who are the size of a small house - is scary.

Now that I've made you all aware of this; see if what I say isn't accurate...of course; if you don't clap eyes on any commercial news stations then you won't see it.

Doncossack likes this.
  16. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Some people though have thyroid problems and have difficulty.
    I have to agree for most people. I lost 15kg 20 years ago held that weight for over 15 years. It was about learning about food values. I just ate more fruit and vegetables and less processed food. And gave up chocolate for a while (that hurt). I've been lazy and have slowly put that weight back on. You hear people say they don't eat much but that applies to their definition. Also it's about education. Someone may "only" have a big Mac for lunch and think they don't eat much. True but it's the wrong type of food.
    I remember a thin lady I worked with. She used to bring left over stir fry for lunch. The amount she had in her container I wouldn't even bother to keep. She thought her meals were normal size. On the other hand the massive meals i see some people eat is incredible. At a buffet the other week I saw a lady have 8 plates of food.

Really? I just came back from the States and was horrified at the amount of obese people. Admittedly it was much worse on the Caribbean cruise. OMG the size of people. Yes Australia has big people but I don't think we have as many obese people as the States. Feel free to correct my assumption with facts and figures.
    Agree it's often about discipline. The Biggest Loser shows that.

Phantom likes this.
  17. Gockie

Omg... Buffet places are the worst. Extremely fat people everywhere.... :eek::eek::eek:

18. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

At least she ate it though, and surprisingly she wasn't fat. Maybe she wanted to get her money's worth. I hate those people that pile their plates up and waste it. On the Caribbean cruise I saw so many jaw dropping examples of obesity. Scary.

19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I saw a Lady last week at inner city seafood buffet,go that alone in oysters maybe over ten plates,then did the same in bugs and wild caught tiger prawns,and the Lady was slim not sure where she was putting in all ,but her hand bag was heavy as she walked out..

20. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

10 hours I agree is a bit extreme, but I do manage to fit that in with working full-time, and other things. 4 hours though is more reasonable and get people the recommended 30mins/day.

I have not worked shift-work, but I imagine your time would be flipped around, and you would just have to exercise at different times. There are plentiful 24 hours gyms and things around. But like I said, having not worked shift work, maybe it sounds easier than it is.

You can just see it going to a shopping centre or local shopping strip. No need to watch TV ..

It is actually now true that underweight / "normal" BMI is the minority:

Fat of the land: Two thirds of us are overweight